Am I the only one who is always...

Options
...hungry?? Seriously. I eat a decent breakfast -- most often I make myself an omlette of egg substitute (1/2 cup) and load it with veggies like peppers, mushrooms and broccoli. That's around 7:30 - 8am. But by 10 am, I am ravishing. I eat a late lunch because I often go walk for a half hour and eat at my desk. Today, I chose carrot sticks to munch on around 10:30am but it's now 11 and I am just starving!! I opted for a packet of oatmeal to tide me over, but should I be eating my lunch earier even though I like saving it for later?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Angie

Replies

• erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast always makes me hungry around 10AM. I either ignore it or have a quick healthy snack. I'm the kind of person who should have 3 meals and 2 snacks (mid-morning, mid-afternoon) -- maybe you are too?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • CaliHiker79
    CaliHiker79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, I have a protein shake for breakfast and then around 10 am I need another snack. I am really trying to stick to the 1200 calories a day but sometimes it is difficult.
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    Eating oatmeal in the morning with some fruits or berries is a great breakfast. You should be eating 3 meals a day and at least 2 snacks in between your meals. That will keep the hungry at bay. According to the diet I'm doing (low GL diet), you shouldn't go more than 4 hours inbetween eating something, to keep the blood sugar level even all day.

A great snack I like is cottage cheese with some sunflower or pumpkin seeds, with an apple.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If you've greatly reduced portion size from what you were eating before here it's going to happen. I know when I started the first 4-6 weeks I did think I was hungry, a year later I can't believe that I ate like I used to. I'm so used to eating smaller portions and less food overall.

It does get better!! A handful of nuts or a piece of string cheese are quick and easy snacks too!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I was hungry for the first month, now I'm only hungry a day or two after a really big burn. I also eat a large amount of food, it's just better food than the large amount of food I used to eat.
  • Margaret0626
    Options
    Eating breakfast always makes me hungry around 10AM. I either ignore it or have a quick healthy snack. I'm the kind of person who should have 3 meals and 2 snacks (mid-morning, mid-afternoon) -- maybe you are too?

I do this too. I eat breakfast around 6:00 AM and then I have to eat a snack around 10:00 AM. I pick something small like yogurt and granola or an english muffin with fake butter. Then after a 12:00 PM lunch I have a little snack at 3:00 PM. String cheese or an apple and a few pieces of cheddar cheese.
  • whatsyour1020
    Options
    I'm hungry about 3 times a day. Part of this journey for me is not panicking every time I feel hungry. When I feel it, I try to wait 30 mins to an hour, then if I'm still hungry have a snack. Some days I'm okay with the feeling..... and, some days, when I forget to give myself that mental talking to, I still panick.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    First let me say i have NO scientific knowledge for my statements, i have n oresearch to back it up, just my experience. i have found that i think about food more often than before which i think sometimes makes me hungry or makes me think i am hungry, i try to recognize that and divert my attention. I more often think that i am actually hungrier though now that I am eating better foods and because I now eat breakfast. Breakfast kickstarts my metabolism and my body uses that and that is why i am hungry again before the afternoon, i also think because i am eating foods that actually contain nutrients my body is able to quickly absorb and use those fuels which means in 3 hours I am hungry again, unlike when i eat a greasy cheeseburger and fries, that food stays with me and I dont get as hungry but thats because its all sitting in a lump not helping my body. I would say either throw in a protein snack or eat the lunch earlier, but know even if you start eating lunch at 11, you will run into the same problem at 2, so you will need to throw a snack in there. maybe try adding hummus with your carrot sticks, they have protein that may tide you over for the next 1.5 hours, or perhpas adding more protein to your breakfast, maybe adding some black beans to peanut butter.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    Add some fiber to fill you up longer.

Chew on some gum to make you think you are eating.

Drink water first then decide if you were hungry or actually thirsty.

Go brush your teeth, you won't want to eat right after that.

Take a lap around the office to get your mind off thinking you are hungry.

Or, eat the carrot sticks or fruit or nuts or a few crackers.

Don't starve yourself.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    bump
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I only get hungry IF I eat breakfast. By the way what is egg substitute?
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know when I started the first 4-6 weeks I did think I was hungry, a year later I can't believe that I ate like I used to. I'm so used to eating smaller portions and less food overall.

So happy to hear this! Thanks for sharing.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat some protein and healthy fats. These will stick with you longer than carbs (like oatmeal) will. Have a hardboiled egg with your oatmeal, or some almonds or peanut butter. The carbs give you an energy boost, then fade away, leaving you starving. So try to limit them and use protein and healthy fats along with them.
  • ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound very weird and contrary to everything that people should do. I have a coffee, actually, cappuccino, for breakfast, then go for a walk between 4 to 6 miles. I can only eat breakfast later in the morning, because I can't stand eating early in the morning and the times that I have chosen to eat early are my worst days. I don't know why but eating early breakfast makes me want to eat all day. So I eat my breakfast between 10 and 11 am. That's what works for me.
  • Tom4lel
    Tom4lel Posts: 2
    Options
    Do you HAVE to eat so early? I wait and eat around 8:30-9am. I just can't eat that early. Then I still eat at a normal lunchtime so I don't over eat at lunch. Snack at 4:30 then dinner between 6-6:30. Maybe that will work for you too.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you've greatly reduced portion size from what you were eating before here it's going to happen. I know when I started the first 4-6 weeks I did think I was hungry, a year later I can't believe that I ate like I used to. I'm so used to eating smaller portions and less food overall.

It does get better!! A handful of nuts or a piece of string cheese are quick and easy snacks too!

Yep! When I started I was unbelievably hungry for about a month while my body got used to the changes. I don't know how long you've been using MFP, but it could just be an adjustment period as long as you're sure you are eating enough to start with. Some tricks that helped me were eating my breakfast later so there wasn't a huge gap between my meals. I have a coffee with a bit of milk to give my body some calories to start up my metabolism but I really don't even get hungry until around 10 or 11, so that's when I eat breakfast. Then I eat lunch around 2 or 3 and dinner is usually at 7. That creates a pretty limited amount of time to get hungry between meals. You might also want to consider that you may be someone who does better with grazing-type of eating, taking the food you would normally eat at your set meals and spread them smaller throughout the day! Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    1. Like another poster said, if you've recently made changes it might take a little time to adjust to a lesser amount than you're used to.

2. I have times during the month when I am hungrier than other times. I just try to make sure I am aware of it and try to eat more nutritionally dense foods to compensate.

3. Make sure you're getting enough water. Sometimes we can mistake the need for more water for hunger.

4. Know what satisfies you! People are constantly suggesting oatmeal for breakfast and it works great for a lot of people! But for me, I need a good high protein start to my day. I can load oatmeal up with nuts, seeds, peanut butter, and even put butter or coconut oil in it but I will still be starving within and hour and a half. It sets me up to be ravenous the rest of the day. So for me, I opt for higher protein and lower carb breakfasts. I eat real, whole eggs with all the fat in them and can remain satisfied until lunch if I do it right.

Try different types of breakfasts and see what holds you the longest. Sometimes higher calorie, higher fat end up being the better choice over the course of the day because you find yourself satisfied and eating less over all. Eat for good nutrition as well as weight loss.
  • diet2lose
    Options
    It's interesting to me that you report the panicky feeling when you get hungry. I have that same experience. I don't know why. I KNOW there will be food soon. I try to squash it with a slice of lite cheese or a handful of almonds. Maybe a spoonful of peanut butter.
    I do better all day if I postpone breakfast as long as I can. Usually 10-11 am. Then I have fewer hours among which to spread my calorie balance. I always crave baked goods first thing in the morning. Old habits... My favorite 1st meal is baked chicken and pineapple rings. It tides me over better than anything else I eat for breakfast.
    I'm rambling..............
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Like another poster, make sure you get enough water. Also, make sure you have an adequate amount of protein at each meal to keep that tummy full. Double check your daily calories - they may be too low, and eat back some of what you burn from exercise.

HTH