For the NON-Breakfast eaters...

Options
I am somewhat new to MFP and I am not a "breakfast" person. Skipping meals is not a good idea either, right? So should I force myself to eat in the mornings even though I am not hungry? I need the support to..so please add me if you think you can help.

Replies

• kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    You should eat..something even if its not much..so that your metabolism starts running rather than waiting until you're starving later and eating more than you need to.
    So maybe start with some fruit and greek yogurt, or a breakfast smoothie..protein is important..so is fiber they both help you feel satisfied longer.
  • alannablue
    Options
    I drink a protein drink every morning when I get up instead. Try EAS CarbControl Caramel - yummy! 110 calories, 3g carbs, and 17g protein. Good for you!
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You can start by eating something small like a piece of fruit or a slice of toast with some peanut butter. After a while, your metabolism will start adjusting (this is a good thing!) and you will be more hungry in the mornings.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    Most of the time I eat but some days I am just not hungry so I drink a protein shake.
  • amberleebrock
    Options
    I was not a morning eater either when I started here (would usually be up at 6:30 and only have coffee until 10 or 11). I made myself eat breakfast, I usually have yogurt and cereal. I noticed after about 2-3 weeks, that I need my breakfast and am hungry in the mornings!
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    something bizarre i've found is that if i drink a cup of water when i wake up, i'll be hungry by the time i've gotten ready for school/work. whereas when i don't i can go until 12 without eating.
    try that trick and maybe small bowl of cereal or jut a piece of fruit or toast like others have said.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yes eat. On some days i am never hungry but i still eat my meals. I wasnt hungry today so i had a coffee with a half serving of mini wheats that i had without milk. I ate them like they were little candy treats.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    The only reason you are not a breakfast person is because you don't eat breakfast.

Start with something small, to jumpstart your metabolism, and then in a few weeks you will start to notice that you are hungry and want breakfast.

this is the same concept with restricting calories. someone was used to eating a whole bunch, so when the restricted their calories they noticed that they were really hungry, but in a few weeks their body got used to the new calorie count and it realized that the restricted amount was enough.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You could try fruit smoothies, or protien drinks. My fiance drinks a good one that tastes like chocolate. I have to drink it really slow or I still feel hungry though.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person either. I go to work at 7 a.m. and by 10 a.m. I usually start getting hungry. I snack on healthy foods during the day, rather than have a meal; except dinner.
  • krazeestraw
    krazeestraw Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat breakfast on weekdays, but I started out small (toast, fruit, etc.) and kept adding a bit more. It's only been about 2.5 weeks and now I'm starving by 8AM.
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    Even with my tummy troubles I still have breakfast. It's something about eating that early in the day that KILLS my stomach. I have always been this way. Sometimes it would be so bad that I would just skip breakfast, but skipping breakfast is not the best idea. I haven't done that in a long time. It's the first meal of the day and also the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast boosts your metabolism and gives it that jump start for the day.

Breakfast is the first chance the body has to refuel its blood glucose levels, also known as blood sugar, after eight to 12 hours without a meal or snack. Glucose is essential for the brain and is the main energy source. Blood glucose also helps fuel the muscles needed for physical activity throughout the day. Breakfast is also very important for weight loss and weight management. You 'break the fast' of not eating for the past eight to 12 hours. It helps curb your hunger and prevent binge eating later in the day. Breakfast is important to manage your weight and potentially lose weight by eating less calories throughout the day!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I am not really a breakfast person... Sometimes I eat breakfast, but sometimes I don't. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am not, I don't. I do understand that the fast needs to be broken to get my metabolism started, but if I eat my last food item in the evening at 11:00 or midnight, then not eating until 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. is NOT a problem. Most people who eat breakfast haven't eaten in the last 12 hours, and even if I skip breakfast, my fast is only 10 to 11ish hours. I have never really believed that eating must occur at certain times of the day. I do believe that you need to consume food regularly, but pretty much if your calories out minus calories in is around a 500 to 1,000 calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can't eat when I first get up. I have orange juice and black coffee every morning and then when I get to work (9am) I have oatmeal. Breakfast doesn't have to be at 6am.
  • larak2011
    Options
    I am new to MFP as well and certainly not trying to be an expert on this topic. It looks as thou most folks in this thread are advocating for breakfast. Again I am new and I'm not a nutritionist however, I have an opinion for what ever its worth...I say do what works for you. If you are truly "listening" to your body and eating only when you hungry and not over eating, I say don't eat breakfast. We are all individuals and what works for someone may not work for someone else. The BMR tool on this site gives me 1300 calories to consume plus exercise calories. My logic tells me to spread these calories out over the course of the day so I do not find myself "starving" at any given time during the day. So if I'm not hungry when I wake up I will NOT eat . Good Luck finding what works best for you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i stopped eating breakfast a few months ago, i was once the eat every 2-3 hrs, mult meal a day person. Now i eat 1 smallish meal, 1 large meal and then another that is dessert and i've seen the fat melt away. haven't increased cardio or working out either
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yes eat. On some days i am never hungry but i still eat my meals. I wasnt hungry today so i had a coffee with a half serving of mini wheats that i had without milk. I ate them like they were little candy treats.

Yep, 1/2 serving of dry frosted mini-wheats (10) in the car on the way to work or whatever. Cheap (Malto-meal brand), easy, tasty, not messy, doesn't require any attention so you won't be a distracted driver, fibrous and filling, just pop 'em one at a time. Put some in a sandwich bag at the beginning of the week and your done. Also, it only takes a second to slam a banana before you head out the door.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    try waking up a little earlier to eat. i know some people wake up with the minimum amount of time necessary to get ready and get to work, but try going to bed a little earlier and then wake up earlier too. it helps you get a little hungry in the AM. Eating in the morning helps jump start your metabolism.

also, make a pb&j sandwich at night to have ready for you in the AM. may cut down on the whole "i'm too tired to make breakfast" thing.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the few people that doesn't eat breakfast. And my weight loss/health hasn't suffered because of it. I wake up at around 11am, and then eat my first meal around 2-3pm. I'm just not hungry, and if I eat before I'm ready, it makes me kinda sick. I'd say do whats right for YOU.
  • rococo11
    rococo11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast because it made me feel nauseated the rest of the day. I found that it was fine to skip it as long as I drank something otherwise dehydration would give me a headache... So have a glass of water when you wake up or maybe a glass of milk and coffee if you feel you need calories.But as long as you are functioning well through the day you can skip it until you are hungry.