Hungry Girl; a shoutout

Options
I love her.

Just wanted to give a shoutout.

I hear tons of complaints that her stuff is pure empty calories. Uhh...no? Sure, some of the desserts aren't cornucopias of nutrition, but c'mon, it's a dessert. And her FiberOne chicken strips are a work of genius. And she can come up with uses for squash and pumpkin I never would have dreamed of.

I would say the biggest "sin" of HG is her pushing of light wonderbread, but I just sub in Pepperidge Farm's soft whole wheat.

So yeah, I love Hungry Girl.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love her.

I hear tons of complaints that her stuff is pure empty calories. Uhh...no? Sure, some of the desserts aren't cornucopias of nutrition, but c'mon, it's a dessert. And her FiberOne chicken strips are a work of genius. And she can come up with uses for squash and pumpkin I never would have dreamed of.

I would say the biggest "sin" of HG is her pushing of light wonderbread, but I just sub in Pepperidge Farm's soft whole wheat.

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I love her.

ok never heard anything bad only good..and always like to try out newer healthy recipes... and the recipe for the strips is??:wink::bigsmile: :laugh: Thanks Phoenix:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I also haven't heard anything bad about hungrygirl. I actually just posted one of her grocery lists on here.

After reading about the fibre one chicken strips, I looked it up and mmmm. Looks delicious!!!
  • heartbrake
    Options
    I'm interested..but who is Hungry Girl?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    probably the best explanation would come from her website HungryGirl.com there you will find recipes, helpful info etc. on healthy eating:smile:

• Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Love Hungry Girl...got the cookbook for Christmas. Can't wait to use it :smile:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options

The best kitchen assistant for those who want to live a healthy lifestyle but at the same time are unable to always prepare or don't care about every ingested article being a paragon of whole food health.

Basically, she has lots of low-calorie swaps for "naughty" food, like chicken fingers and fettuccine alfredo. A lot of her swaps are quite healthy, as they often use things like pumpkin and FiberOne. Some stuff is low calorie but not exactly "good" for you, such as fat free reddi whip or kraft fat free single slices. You know, processed stuff. But she defends herself by responding that not everyone can get pure whole food, and that she never claims to be a dietitian.

I love her, but some people dislike her pushing of certain processed foods.
  • stephica
    Options
    Love Hungry Girl...got the cookbook for Christmas. Can't wait to use it :smile:

Oh la la, Please let me know how it is!!!!!
  • stephica
    Options
    I love her.

I tried her FiberOne chicken strips, Ohhhh boy are they ever delicious!!!!! Thanks for the info.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I love her.

Can you share the recipe girls?
    I tried her FiberOne chicken strips, Ohhhh boy are they ever delicious!!!!! Thanks for the info.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I love HG too. Most of the foods she pushes are processed, but HELLO :laugh: to the haters, that is what most of have time to eat :tongue: So she isn't pushing the most natural foods, but she is pushing healthier foods. I like that:bigsmile:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    I made Miracle Mashies today (the cauliflower mashed potatoes, not in cookbook but on website) SO GOOD...my son liked them and he hates mashed potatos. MIL liked them and so did BIL. Hubby was really scared at first but he said they were pretty good :smile: I will make these anytime we are feeling like mashed potatoes
  • stephica
    Options
    I love her.

Can you share the recipe girls?
    [/quote]

Sure! Here it is... (http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1065)

Ingredients:
    6 oz. Tyson (or another brand**) Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (raw); cut lengthwise into 5 strips
    1/2 cup Fiber One cereal
    1/4 cup Egg Beaters, Original
    1/4 tsp. Lawry's Garlic Salt
    pepper (to taste)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Add Garlic Salt and pepper to crumbs. Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another. Next, coat raw chicken strips with Egg Beaters and then with crumb mixture. Place strips on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Spray a light mist of nonstick spray on top of strips and place in oven. Cook for 10 minutes, and then turn strips over. Add another light mist of nonstick spray and cook for an additional 8 - 10 minutes (until chicken is fully cooked and Fiber One looks crispy). Enjoy! Serves 1.

Serving Size: 5 pieces (entire recipe)
    Calories: 240
    Fat: 3.25g
    Sodium: 805mg
    Carbs: 26g
    Fiber: 14g
    Sugars: 0.5g
    Protein: 42.5g
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Thanks again for sharing the recipe Stephica....... WOWZA gorgeous new AV pic...love the hair cut...CUTE on you!!:wink::flowerforyou: Really frames your pretty face so nicely:happy:

• stephica
    Options
    Thanks again for sharing the recipe Stephica....... WOWZA gorgeous new AV pic...love the hair cut...CUTE on you!!:wink::flowerforyou: Really frames your pretty face so nicely:happy:

Hey, Anytime! I think I'm addicted to this site!!

You are tooooo sweet! Thanks so much :heart:
  • BNevins1
    Options
    I love Hungry Girl too and my boss actually had her autograph a copy of her cookbook for me when she was in the area. Yes, I'm a little odd. The recipe I use the most is the brownie muffins. Nothing could be easier and nobody ever thinks that they are a healthier version of regular chocolate muffins. All you do is mix a can of pure pumpkin with a devils food cake mix (nothing else-no water or anything) and put in sprayed muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 25 mins. Sometimes I add nuts or mini chips. 181 calories, but worth every single one. Another option is to make them in mini mufin tins and just have one when you need a chocolate fix. Obviously don't bake as long. Very yummy.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    I went thru the cookbook yesterday and tabbed with post its every recipe I wanted to try. When my hubby saw it he said "Holy post its! What did you do mark the whole book?" My response..."pretty much!" So excited to try EVERYTHING!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    Tried the rockin tuna melt today. LOVE IT!!! the Dijonnaise makes it spicy, the carrots make it crunchy, oh its so wonderful!! I think I'm gonna make one of the soups for dinner...just haven't decided which one :smile:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    Okay I'm a HG cookbook addict. Last night I made Sassy Salsa Pumpkin soup and this morning I made Creamy Banana Pumpkin Pie Pancakes. Both delicious. My son who is EXTREMELY picky ate both with no complaints!