Any advice for teenagers?

CrystalClear
CrystalClear Posts: 18
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
My sister is 16 and weighs 170. She doesn't look bad in the least but she wants to drop about 15-20 lbs so she feels better and can perform better in sports. I've tried to talk her out of it but I figure that its better she drops the weight in a healthy way instead of doing something like crash dieting. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone that age? I'm at a loss. Help would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• My sister is 16 and weighs 170. She doesn't look bad in the least but she wants to drop about 15-20 lbs so she feels better and can perform better in sports. I've tried to talk her out of it but I figure that its better she drops the weight in a healthy way instead of doing something like crash dieting. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone that age? I'm at a loss. Help would be appreciated :smile:
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    I would first see how healthy she actually is with that weight by looking at her BMI. There are many free BMI calculators you can use online. 170 is not as healthy for someone who is 5'2'' rather than 5'8'' for example. If she is in the overweight category, then she should consider changing her lifestyle. If she wants to be better in sports, then she should consider her cardio endurance. Distance running or taking a fun class at the gym will help her stamina and also drop extra calories and pounds. Lifting weights can also be great for her because they build muscle which helps in the athletic field. This site is great because it will show her how to budget her calories and where she might be going wrong in the day. She might also be surprised at how many calories are in one food item versus another. (I certainly was) :) I am also only trying to lose maybe ten to fifteen pounds as a result of making healthier choices. I hope that helps!
  • im fifteen. im here to get in better shape for volleyball and soccer. i want to make the varsity teams this year. i think she should come here if she can. i found that if i set my goal at 1 lb. lost per week, i could focus on trying to tone more than lose weight, and i could still eat a lot of the things i liked. i am still losing weight, but in a healthy way.
    if she does come, i would totally talk to her =D
    hope this helps!
  • Yea shes 5'4 so I'll look into the BMI. Thanks for everything :happy:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    My daughter is 8, tall, and above average height with a normal weight for height at this time. Due to my stupid choices as a teenager, her pediatrician and I talk constantly about weighs to motivate her to maintain a healthy weight and outlook on herself, especially since she is athletic.

As a mother, I would definitely advise going with her to her pediatrician and may be even a nutritonist. What a teenager needs nutrition-wise is usually much different than what an adult needs for sustenance and growth. And you can never go wrong with plenty of water, lots of fruits and vegetables. But I believe they may need more iron, protein, and calcium for continued bone growth and cell growth than we do as adults. Keep supporting her, but try and get a physician involved too. Sometimes the advise of a physician can carry a lot of weight.

(My 2 cents worth :blushing: )
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Yea shes 5'4 so I'll look into the BMI. Thanks for everything :happy:
    ya know something? I do have to say, I think that's pretty darn cool that big Sis is lookin out for her lil Sis!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart:

That simply ROCKS xXspeckle12Xx :drinker:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    My daughter is 8, tall, and above average height with a normal weight for height at this time. Due to my stupid choices as a teenager, her pediatrician and I talk constantly about weighs to motivate her to maintain a healthy weight and outlook on herself, especially since she is athletic.

As a mother, I would definitely advise going with her to her pediatrician and may be even a nutritonist. What a teenager needs nutrition-wise is usually much different than what an adult needs for sustenance and growth. And you can never go wrong with plenty of water, lots of fruits and vegetables. But I believe they may need more iron, protein, and calcium for continued bone growth and cell growth than we do as adults. Keep supporting her, but try and get a physician involved too. Sometimes the advise of a physician can carry a lot of weight.

(My 2 cents worth :blushing: )
    Great tips iftcheiaf:flowerforyou: I think anyone benefits greatly from seeing a nutritioinist....I think young folks can really get to know the needs of their bodies without hitting the 'crash diet' lose it all overnight theory if they can get to understanding more about how their bodies work, and how they are like a car.... we take good care of our cars, we fuel them with the good stuff, we take them in when something rattles, or doesn't sound quite right....

HECK why do less for our own bodies that we'll have FAR LONGER than any stinkin car:laugh: :bigsmile:

• I'm 17 and I came on here to loose weight. I'm not fat fat but I do have extra body weight, I guess. That's what I want to loose.
  • Fitness_Chick
    I'm 17 and I came on here to loose weight. I'm not fat fat but I do have extra body weight, I guess. That's what I want to loose.
    another tip is strength training to tone up....really does do wonders!:happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    I'm 17 and I came on here to loose weight. I'm not fat fat but I do have extra body weight, I guess. That's what I want to loose.
    Kudos to you for wanting to tone up!!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • I'm 17 and I came on here to loose weight. I'm not fat fat but I do have extra body weight, I guess. That's what I want to loose.
    another tip is strength training to tone up....really does do wonders!:happy:
    Yeah. I've been getting teen magazines and they have different workouts in there every month. I've tried to stick to the twice already, and failed after a week. :wink: It's sort of hard to make time to do everything. But now it's time to get serious.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Maybe do something as a family?
    Go out for a walk after dinner?
    What does she do for sports?
    Play catch or kick the ball or something together.

the more time spent exercising even if its just light play for fun, the more helpful it will become.

It doesn't sound like she has some unhealthy goals.
    15-20 lbs from 170 is probably just a confidence booster.
    Maybe show her this site and how you use it.
    If you have say on what groceries are bought, maybe suggest no more snack foods in the house, stick to fruits veggies and water between meals. Try yogurt and jello for snacks.
  • Fitness_Chick
    bumpin:drinker:
  • sean93
    sean93 Posts: 109
    hey im 15 and really want to lose two stone. i used to weight a healthy 11 1/2 stone for my height buh i have put on 3 stone in 2 years and have become very flabby. can anyone give me any tips on how to lose the flabbby stomach and also i suffer from man boobs which are commented on pretty much everyday by others.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    At 17 she is more than likely done growing and if she is serious about it maybe it is time to get her some help from the pros. My daughter is 14 and a runner, volleyball player and overall very active. I can give her all the advice I want but she has those slippery teenager ears. It wasn't until she injured herself and ended up in physical therapy that she found out her old mom knows a thing or two. We learned alot together but a lot of what her therapist said to her about training and food was exactly what I have been telling her since she started running a year ago for cross country.

It doesn't take a lot of money, even just getting her to the doctor or a trainer for a few sessions at a local gym will give her the building blocks to do great things!
  • hey im 15 and really want to lose two stone. i used to weight a healthy 11 1/2 stone for my height buh i have put on 3 stone in 2 years and have become very flabby. can anyone give me any tips on how to lose the flabbby stomach and also i suffer from man boobs which are commented on pretty much everyday by others.
    Be glad you have man boobs; mine are too big for my liking lol. btw, you should pick up an issue of Seventeen magazine at your local store. They have great exercises in there. I've been doing them.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    If she wants to slim down for sports, I suggest more exercise. I know when I was a teen I was constantly moving, whether it was riding my horse, doing sprints for volley ball, basketball or track, or lifting weights.

I pretty much ate what ever I wanted, but I was in great shape from all the exercise I got.
  • sean93
    sean93 Posts: 109
    hey im 15 and really want to lose two stone. i used to weight a healthy 11 1/2 stone for my height buh i have put on 3 stone in 2 years and have become very flabby. can anyone give me any tips on how to lose the flabbby stomach and also i suffer from man boobs which are commented on pretty much everyday by others.
    Be glad you have man boobs; mine are too big for my liking lol. btw, you should pick up an issue of Seventeen magazine at your local store. They have great exercises in there. I've been doing them.

thanks will try it (:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Anything offered at school in regards to strength training...working with weights? That truly helps tighten up the body and gaining muscle from doing that burns fat!! We all like to burn fat!!:wink: If you don't have a program in school...check out a something perhaps at the library on beginning weight lifting and start out small...you can even use items in your house as weights if you don't own any weights. Soup Cans, jugs of water etc. The resistance bands are also great to be used the same type of way... hope something here works for you..:drinker: Drinking lots of water also helps flush your body of any junk ....

Try not to get down on yourself too much if possible:wink: (others do that way more than enough FOR us:blushing: :laugh: :wink: :cry: ), you body is still in a growing spurt and more than likely will level out ...cardio (things that make your heart beat faster...such as running, many sports, things along that line...Google for more of an idea...also you can jump on Google for weight training/excercise ideas)...

Good Luck...with hard work and healthy eating it CAN BE DONE!!:bigsmile:

This discussion has been closed.