To all T1 Diabetics

Options
Hi there.
It is time for me to get a new insulin pump. I currently have the Minimed Medtronic 522. I hate...hate...HATE this company due to customer service or lack there of. But...the pump has worked well for me. I own the CGMS, but the sensors are sooo expensive and my insurance company does not pay for them. Also, the sensors do not work very well (or stick), so I hardly ever use it. I also do not like that I cannot buy generic supplies and have to purchase directly from them.

I am considering the Animas One Touch Ping and also upgrading with Minimed again, although they do not have much 'new' right now.

What do you use and why? What are the positives and negatives?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Debi :wink:

Replies

• JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a minimed pump, so I'm not much help. I discontinued supplies shipping with Minimed so I could avoid their customer service and supplies department as much as possible. That helped TREMENDOUSLY!! I don't have to call unless my pump is on the blink...(this is my 4th pump BTW) and that department is REALLY helpful and most times understanding.

My only advice: switch companies for supplies :)
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what to get b/c I'm not on one right now, but I had the Omnipod. Don't get that one. It's seemed all rainbows and sunshine at first, but then it kept malfunctioning and randomly going off or beeping (at the worst possible times, too). I did hear that the Animus Ping is good, though...
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    I use the Minimed Paradigm 722... which maybe doesn't help... but I absolutely LOVE mine. I buy my supplies from the pharmacy... not sure if different countries allow that though (I'm in Canada and buy mine at Costco).

I did give the Animas pump a trial run before I started on pump therapy... and I personally didn't like it. I wanted a pump where I could push a button or two and by on my way - and I found that Animas had more menus to go through and took longer to input how many carbs you were having. A plus though - it's waterproof, (at least, the one I tried was...) *and* it had a food database that you could set up with up to 500 food items to help with carb counts.

If you see a diabetes care team or endocrinologist, see if you can give it a test run with saline solution. It may be a little more work for you for a few days... but it will save you a lot of headaches in the future if you decide you don't like it. Best of luck to you!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hubby's type one but the pumps put him in dka hospital multiple times...so we moved to a combination of self medication/shots. I can ask him which one put him in the hospital so you can avoid it....
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding.

In US, we have to buy direct from an approved pharmacy; can't buy from a store for the Minimed Medtronic.

Any help from anyone will be appreciated.

Thanks again!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of upgrading with Minimed. I have a Paradigm 722. Just from my experience, I have had zero problems with Medtronic customer service. I do order my supplies from a 3rd party because that is what my insurance wants, but I can still originate the request with Medtronic. They were very helpful with me when I had to change infusion sets due to my weight loss and loss of fat. They kept sending me infusion sets free of charge until I found one that worked.