Do I need to ramp it up?

Options
I do a 60 mins of cardio (Zumba) 3X a week, plus I go on the treadmill 3X a week (incline 5, pace 4 miles in 60 min) When I was at the gym today, I took my heart rate as I usually do throughout my workout. Even though I was at same pace etc. as usual, I could not get my heart rate up to my cardio recommended of 144 today. Does this mean that I may need to pick up the pace or change my routine? I want my workout to be as effective as it can be, of course. Just curious.....

Thanks for your comments

Replies

• OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body is adjusting to the pace you have for it. It sounds like you may want to kick it up. Try doing intervals during your time on the treadmill. Up the pace for 30 seconds to a minute then lower down.

You didn't say if you stalled on weight loss so I think you that should do the trick. You may want to incorporate some weight training in that also. That will help speed your metabolism.

Great job!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    changing your routine would do the trick (many suggest changing workout routines every 4-6 weeks. Most likely you are having trouble getting your HR up for 2 reasons. 1. You are in better shape so your heart does not have to work as hard. 2. you are becoming more efficient at doing your workout (this is the reason to change up the routine)

I would also strongly suggest that you add strength training to your routine.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Perhaps do intervals on the treadmill where you are working faster or at a greater incline for a couple of minutes at a time. In between these interals do a couple of minutes at your usual intensity. This should get your heart rate up a bit while still allowing you to complete your workout.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    the more you do something, the easier it becomes. increase the incline, or pace, or combination. Intervals are very useful in this situation.