cleaning
Walking up stairs
Carrying your child/ pushing your child in a pushchair

as exercise entries?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't use these as they are a part of my daily life, but if they weren't I wouldn't think twice about using them.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i used pushing my child. I take my two girls on long walks that requires pushing a stroller up a few hills. that is a workout!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I don't use these as they are a part of my daily life, but if they weren't I wouldn't think twice about using them.

^ this for me as well.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I log these every day.

I have my exercise on here set to as low as it will go, so logging what I'm doing makes me seem less lazy.

Plus I like to look back and see which days I cleaned the house...
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    I have used cleaning not really regular cleaning but extra harder cleaning but thats all
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    nope don't count them. I calculate my calories based on an active lifestyle, so then if I counted everything as exercise I'd be "burning" twice as much as I really was. I only count exercise as exercise, I think trying to add stuff like that is silly. Now the pushing kids up a hill thing though, sounds like a work out. but I don't count carrying my five year old up the driveway from the car, ya know?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I use cleaning, yardwork and pushing a stroller. They are not things I do on a daily basis, therefore I log them if they are over 20 mins. .
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No way...nothing that is a 'normal' activity, because they've always been a part of my day, and doesn't count as burning extra calories. I only count when I do a real workout, even though I go up and down a flight of stairs probably 6-8 times a day at work. I don't think most of those things burn enough calories to count them.
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use cleaning and food prep as one. I have my activity level set as sedentary... because I work in an office job. BUT when I get home... there is always something to do! If I am doing a really good cleaning where I have to move the couches around and tables to vacuum under there... I will use the carrying boxes and or moving household items.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I log nothing but "workouts" not even walking the dog (or the small children).
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I figure they're registered in MFPs normal BMR rate, so I only log it it's SERIOUSLY heavy going. BTW, try jogging up and down stairs - you'll want to log that one after you've tried it!
  • nickinackynoo
    Options
    I cook every night and walk 90% of the time, which i have been entering as walking at 2-3mph pace for the length of time i walk for, usually 40 minutes 3 - 4 times a week.

but should i be adding the "walking with a pushchair" as well??

My son weighs 2 st & I carry his nursery bag which would probably be about 5lb-ish....
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I use the walking up stairs IF I'm on them a lot (15 mins or more) I use walking/jogging on the stairs at my complex as exercise because I read it's a great workout, one of the best you can do. Athletes train by running up stairs - if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
    I DON'T count the normal walking up & down I do every day but when I wear my HRM, use proper form (don't hang on the bannister) and walk or jog continuously for 15 mins or more.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't and I wouldn't unless they were really a challenge physically. For someone who has a serious amount to lose these might be the best workouts they can manage. If that's the case, I say log away.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The only one I've ever used is "cleaning" and it was after a day of scrubbing floors on my hands and knees, scrubbing walls, moving furniture, etc. I was sweating, my heart was pounding... it was exercise (and definitely NOT something I do all the time! LOL).

I also count lawn mowing since I don't do it all the time and my push mower is like pushing a tank - it is NOT self propelled or anything like that. It is an old style mower that seriously weighs a ton and doesn't move very well through even the shortest grass. It makes my arms go numb because I have to use so much force with it.

Other than those two things? I don't log any of it.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just read the walking dog one. Depends on how long and how fast really. A quick stroll down the town isn't worth logging IMHO, but an hours pavement pounding at 3.5 mph is.
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No way...nothing that is a 'normal' activity, because they've always been a part of my day, and doesn't count as burning extra calories. I only count when I do a real workout, even though I go up and down a flight of stairs probably 6-8 times a day at work. I don't think most of those things burn enough calories to count them.

You would be quite surprised! picking up around the house no... but every week I do a HUGE cleaning... breaking a sweat and really cleaning house! I log that!
  • sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    Options
    Walking up stairs is part of my workout, but the stairs I have at home, I don't count cause I've been doing them before I started working out and I never lost weight because of those... Cleaning house and cooking is part of your everyday living. I never use to take the stairs at work (I'm on the 7th floor), I use to take the elevators, but I've decided to take the stairs everytime I need to go up or down...so I think that falls into the category of exercise for now.
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use cleaning for exercise. I strapped on my HRM last week...did 2 hrs of on my knees scrubbing the floor type of cleaning and I actually burned 917 in those two hours of major house cleaning.
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    I do the cleaning one as I only clean my one bedroom apartment once a week for a few hours. Other than that, I don't bother with it.