What am I doing wrong?

Options
I just began working out last week. I have been to the gym 7 out of the last 8 days and I have also been under my calorie goal every day but one. I weighed my self today and I have not lost a damn pound. Shouldn't I at least have lost SOMETHING? What am I doing wrong?
As far as eating, I have only been eating chicken or turkey and eating plenty of veggies and fruits. I haven't been drinking as much water but haven't had any soda all week.
At the gym, I have done at least 30 minutes of walking or jogging on the treadmill and about 10 minutes on the weight machines. I'm new to exercise so I'm still learning. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    its only been a week, your body needs time to adjust to your new routine, be patient and keep doing what your doing
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    when most people start a new workout the body holds in some water weight (some people even gain the first week or two of a new workout program). Give it some more time I bet after a few weeks it will start falling right off :)

I would also aim to be at my calorie goal rather than below it
  • peddlepusher
    Options
    Take your measurements you could be losing inches...muscle weighs more than fat.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    In order to give any meaningful helpful advice you would need to make your diary public. As far as exercise, its all about the aboumt and intensity. For example you could walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes at say 2.0 mph might not break a sweat, or up the intensity to 3.5 and add an incline for the same 30 minutes and burn 150-200 calories more during that same time frame.
  • cchristman12
    cchristman12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hang in ther and keep on doing what you are doing. You will see results in a couple weeks, I'm sure.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more. Your body goes into starvation mode if there arent enough calories and you wont lose any weight. Try to hit your calorie goal not stay under it. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Could be a bunch of things"
    1. you may be burning less than you think (machines and MFP tend to over estimate caloric burn)
    2. you may be eating more than you think (if you are not measuring and weighing your food this is very likely)
    3. You are retaining water due to starting a new exercise program (this is normal for the first few weeks of exercising)
    4. Hormone related issue (thyroid)
    5. You may not be eating enough (try to get as close to your MFP target as possible, daily target plus what you burned from exercise)
    6. Etc.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    Take your measurements you could be losing inches...muscle weighs more than fat.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat and it isn't built in 7 days. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle are exactly the same, they just would look differently if they were stuffed into the same container.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Took me two solid weeks of diet & exercise to get the scale moving, but once it did.....
  • erickirb
    Options

She would not have gained any muscle in only 8 days, not to mention gaining muscle while in a caloric deficit is not probable.
  • fuminator18
    fuminator18 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink lots of water. You might be gaining muscle due to exercising at Gym!?
  • erickirb
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat and it isn't built in 7 days. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle are exactly the same, they just would look differently if they were stuffed into the same container.

she never said 1 lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat, so why put words into her mouth. when people say muscle weighs more than fat they are implying in equal volumes (since it is implied there is no reason to say it, and it is true)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    congrats, you are on the right path to a brand new you!!! dieting and exercise is great, but if what you said is true, that your are new to excersing, then maybe you should meet with a trainer. i know many gyms offer an introductory training session for free, or a very affordable package of 3 sessions.

as far as not losing, well, you body is probably building muscle first, before losing the weight. just remember that you should re-eat most of your burned calories. also don't set your calorie goals too low. aim for maybe losing a pound a week, which is a very healthy weight loss, and in a few weeks, you can tweek it a little.

you have to drink plenty of water, especially if you are excersising. just keep a bottle with you at all times.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think just give it some more time. I'm sure you will see a difference in another week or 2. Just don't give up. It sounds like you are doing great.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    if this is your first week then yes you have to give it time, pretty soon you will see it start to come off. Also are you sure that you are logging everything correctly? your portion sizes, everything you eat and yuor calorie burn from the cardio? I can't see your diary but if you are eating like you say you are then it should jsut be a matter of time, DONT GIVE UP!!! It does happen!!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Have you been sleeping alright? Somtimes neglecting sleep might make the body store energy and water.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Be patient, the pounds WILL come off. When I first started, it took a whole month to lose one measly little pound - talk about frustrating! Your body is adjusting and a new exercise program tends to make your muscles hold onto more water. Oh and drink that WATER!!!!!!!!! If you are eating a lot of sodium, your body will also hold onto more water.
  • JThomas61
    Options

she never said 1 lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat, so why put words into her mouth. when people say muscle weighs more than fat they are implying in equal volumes (since it is implied there is no reason to say it, and it is true)

Good point, I misread the point. My apologies to her.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    oh, buy yourself a heart rate monitor to helpyou know just how intense you are working out.
  • mcdermi321
    Options
    Since you are new to exercise, I recommend that you attempt to establish your "resting metabolic rate" or "RMR". This will tell you how many calories you will consume if you laid in bed all day. Then you can build a plan that gives you enough caloric intake to satisfy your basic need and the needs of your new exercise plan. Also, you should consult with a doctor about what your goals are and see if he/she have any advice on nutrition.