Can exercise and dieting delay your period?

Options
Like say 40 days of straight exercise and dieting?

Replies

• medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt you could do enough to affect your period. Serious athletes, especially younger ones like gymnasts, don't get a period b/c of the heavy training. But we're talking the equivalent of a full time job, that's how many hours these girls are putting into it.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    you can also miss it completely from it. don't worry, but if you are sexually active I would advice you take a test if it's been ten days late. =] hope this helps

also my best friends sister just started exercising and such and lost quite a bit she completely missed her period one month. she's a nurse not an athlete =]
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    yes it does, and so does stress!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Most definately.
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    Absolutely!

I did the 30 DS for just a few weeks and my period was 6 days late. It scared the (you know what) out of me.
  • netsirk419
    netsirk419 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It delays mine a week or two...
  • rachelwebster
    rachelwebster Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    just asked my doctor this very question yesterday and her asnwer was definately yes. if you are losing weight its less estrogen than your body is used to and your cycle gets all mixed up....she said it should regulate within a few months.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Sure can. It can also make it lighter, shorter and less crampy.

Burning fat changes the hormone make-up in your body which can definitely change your period.

However, if you are sexually active - take a pregnancy test just to be on the safe side. :)
  • Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    Options
    When I started eating right and exercising I skipped my period completely for 1 month and then it took a few months to get it back to "normal." I think it just took my body awhile to adjust to the new lifestyle! Definitely take a pregnancy test if you're sexually active to rule out the possibility though!
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would definitely invest in a preg test if you have even a chance of it (not worth the risk). I would probably see a dr if it doesn't come back soon. Good luck!
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    Yes it can! I asked my doctor that same question this morning and he said with fat loss, more estrogen is released into your system, which will most definitely affect your cycle. So, if it is delaying your period, I would look at it as a good thing :-)
  • lindabarnett30
    Options
    yes I would say it could, I usually have a period every 2 weeks for a while when I diet. But i am guessing it could go either way.
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes that's happened to me before! I've even spotted a tiny amount when I've worked out too hard (that really creeped me out!!). But you might still want to get a pregnancy test to be sure.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes, as well as being overweight in general. Have not seen mine since June, but I am starting to feel the symptoms of PMS.
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    Definately! I skipped mine for a while month after I started losing weight, exercising regularly and dieting. Then the next month I got it, it was a beast! But, mine has gone back to normal.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    Yes it can!
    I have had my tubes tied for years and when I am on point with my workouts my periods are longer apart, shorter and a lot lighter than if I do not exercise. I also no longer keep track so for me to notice that I haven't had a period it has to be a few weeks later than when I would have expected it.
  • beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It can delay or increase your period. I skipped a month then went on what seemed like an an unending cycle for a while. It finally evened out. My doctor says anytime you are changing the body significantly your hormones will adjust. No worries and be well!!! ;)
  • brooke_92606
    Options
    Preg test neg.
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i'm having the same problem :/ - i have not had a period in 7 weeks, so i'm about 3 weeks over-due - i have taken FOUR pregnancy test ALL negative........

I have booked an app with my Dr cos this is VERY unusual for me, as i'm clockwork, so have a little concern, my smear test came back clear the other month, so i'm sure its diet and exercise!

It started to go off track when i went away for a weekend, it was all walking and standing - i came on 9 days earlier, then the following month i was 9 days later, then last month - nothing!