Running in the winter

Options

Replies

• mmasteller
    mmasteller Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin and run 4.5 miles every morning during the week as long as it is 10 degrees or higher. I typically wear a wicking tank top (I have lots of Fila ones from Kohls). It really helps to keep me warm versus just a sports bra. I then put on a long sleeve t-shirt to help soak up sweat. On top of that for the bitter cold days I wear a performance jacket that has pockets. I like the pockets to stuff my gloves into once I am warmed up. I have a pair of Under Armor gloves and thicker pair of Nike gloves that I use depending on the temperature and wind. For pants, I typically wear performance leggings (made by Fila), sometimes capri style for the little bit warmer days. I always wear something on my head as well. Either a band that can cover my ears if need be depending on the temp, a cap that helps soak up the sweat, or for the brutal cold days, a fleece cap. Hope this helps. Happy Running to You!!!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I also have under armour tights, underneath "normal" running pants, and then I layer up longsleeve shirts, jacket, wear a hat (Nike - has a hole in the back for the pony tail) and gloves. Once you get going you'll be warm enough.

I run pretty much in any weather unless it's like a monsoon outside simply because there have been times I wasn't "allowed" to run and I missed it so much I swore I wouldn't take the ability to get out there for granted ever again!

If I knew how to post a pic I'd show you one of my winter outfits...
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this thread! I started running in May and haven't had to run in the cold yet. I live in east central Illinois and we have some harsh winters here. I am planning on doing a 5k race in December and was wondering what in the world to wear. All posts sound like great ideas, thanks!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    What about rainy conditions?? I live in Oregon where its not so much cold but rainy and wet from November through March. I'm bound and determined to walk/run outside this year...does wick dry clothes help with that too?
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I dress in layers - avoid cotton at all costs - wear nice wool socks - use YakTrax on your sneaks for snow/slush or ice

I wear a hat if it's super cold but otherwise just earmuffs, got to have my ears covered.

i do "farmer's blow" when my nose runs, it's gross, or sometimes I blow in my gloves, they get washed everytime anyhow.

definitely wear compression tights they'll keep your legs warm.

my butt gets cold no matter what I do :ohwell:
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It's still just about summer here, but you can already sense winter starting to draw in..... We're just getting going on our programme, so I wondered what you do about running outdoors in the winter? What are your favourite running clothes in particular, and what do you do about running shoes?
    From Michigan here. Anything from Under Armour's winter line is amazing!

yes under amour is a life saver... I actually prefer running in the winter/fall... well here in oregon its pretty much just fall (rain rain rain LOL) but I like it!!!
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan. Winters are brutal, but I've found things that make it more fun that running in the summer. With a warm scarf wrapped around my face and mouth, lots of Under Armour layers and Yaktrax, I make it through just fine! I've run when it's 20 degrees out and been comfy.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    What about rainy conditions?? I live in Oregon where its not so much cold but rainy and wet from November through March. I'm bound and determined to walk/run outside this year...does wick dry clothes help with that too?

Wear a hat! I've run in the rain and the water poured down my face. I run in a pair of Asics running pants that do a great job of keeping me dry. On top I have a couple of wicking shirts I bought at REI (REI brand) that keep me dry for the most part. I also just bought a pair of Under Armour compression shorts which are great.
  • Laceylala
    Options
    It's still just about summer here, but you can already sense winter starting to draw in..... We're just getting going on our programme, so I wondered what you do about running outdoors in the winter? What are your favourite running clothes in particular, and what do you do about running shoes?
    From Michigan here. Anything from Under Armour's winter line is amazing!

yes under amour is a life saver... I actually prefer running in the winter/fall... well here in oregon its pretty much just fall (rain rain rain LOL) but I like it!!!

Another Oregonian!! So Under Armor huh? I might have to hit up thier store at the Woodburn Factory Stores next weekend then..
  • Laceylala
    Options

Wear a hat! I've run in the rain and the water poured down my face. I run in a pair of Asics running pants that do a great job of keeping me dry. On top I have a couple of wicking shirts I bought at REI (REI brand) that keep me dry for the most part. I also just bought a pair of Under Armour compression shorts which are great.

What exactly is the purpose of compression pants? To keep the blood flowing?
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Last year ran in all kinds of heavy snow. I ran in my uggs boots they worked great with wool socks!
  • ennaejay
    Options
    I live in Michigan. Winters are brutal, but I've found things that make it more fun that running in the summer. With a warm scarf wrapped around my face and mouth, lots of Under Armour layers and Yaktrax, I make it through just fine! I've run when it's 20 degrees out and been comfy.

sweet aviators
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What about when it's cold to breath? I'd wear a scarf or something over my mouth but honestly it makes me feel claustrophobic. Is this something that if I start out with it being only cool (well it's still hot) that I'll get used to as a gradual thing, instead of feeling like it's shocking?
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If your running in the dark or when its snowing get a blinking light from ASCICS.com worked great! Attaches to jacket.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    y'all check out RunningWarehouse.com they have some really great closeout deals :) I got my sauconys there for half price of the running stores.... $47 shipped to my door. Can't beat it.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    If your running in the dark or when its snowing get a blinking light from ASCICS.com worked great! Attaches to jacket.

and super bright neon top layer. too many motorists are *kitten*, but it's best if you give them the chance to see you at least.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic, I have been thinking about this alot lately. I started running in April of this year and I am in Minnesota so I have been really concerned about what I am going to do once winter sets in here. Thanks to all for the great advice, looks like I am going to have to spend some money and invest in some good winter running gear!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    bump.... not looking forward to winter at all!
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options

sweet aviators

sweet cartoon?

haha