Books, books, and more books!!

Options
NeedANewFocus
NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
What's your all time favorite book? Why?

Replies

• lilsnowbird
    Options
    I LOVE to read...I go to bed every night at 9pm and then read until 10pm so I have read many many books.....but the ones that stick in my mind honestly are the Twilight series.....it was the first books I have ever read that I actually felt I was living in the stories....the way it was written made it feel so real, they were all really good .....I am also a huge Jodi Piccoult fan as well.....and what about you???
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    OMMG I love books. i will NEVER buy a kindle either.

Prozac Nation
    More, Now, & Again a memior of addiction
    ***** in praise of difficult women
    Author of all 3 - Elizabeth Wurtzel

Leaving Dirty Jersey - a meth memior

Something borrowed, Something blue, Love the one you're with, and Baby Proof
    Author of all 4 - Emily Griffin

The Awakening - unknown
  • Lirael by Garth Nix I totally relate to the main character!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love all kinds of books, I don't think I could pick just one. I loved Water For Elephants, Something Borrowed, 1984, Catcher In The Rye, Animal Farm... Right now I'm reading biographies/autobiographies on Ted Williams, The Beatles, Neil Young.. next I want tog get some Bob Dylan ones and Steven Tyler. I only buy used though, I hate stores like Barnes and Noble. I go to a local used bookstore.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Three by Ted Dekker
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Berniers. It is a beautiful book, the movie ruined it!
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am currently obsessed with Steve Berry and his Cotton Malone series. Love it! :)
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Big book reader, mostly fantasy and horror - Drizzt Do'Urden series by RA Salvatore, LOTR, Dragonlance by Hickman and Weis, Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson, The books of Immortals by Piers Anthony
    Anything by Stephen King, William S Burroughs (as long as my brain doesn't melt trying to read his stuff), Orson Scott Card (Ender series is really good).
    I love a book that let's you get to know a character.
  • poisongirl1
    poisongirl1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman is one of my favourites, not only is the story interesting, but I love the way the chapters alternate between the viewpoints of (seven) different characters, and the style of writing was amazing.

I also really loved Next by Michael Crichton, it appealed to my nerdy sciencey side. It had a whole bunch of different storylines that intertwined with each other, some of them I was like "Whoa, that could totally happen one day, and that's messed".
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I only buy used though, I hate stores like Barnes and Noble. I go to a local used bookstore.

Me too I live in charity shops seraching for the ones I need. I only get new if someone buys for me.

I love a load of books too and also prefer ones where you get lost in the story and can't put them down.

James Patterson's Alex Cross series are amazing. I'm so attached to poor detective Cross and his whole family. I really love the Harry Potter Books and the Twilight Series.

At the moment I'm reading Stephen King's the Dark Tower series (I seem to have a thing for series') they're fab and so detailed. Different from his normal style (I really love his normal style too though). Along with King and Patterson Dean Koontz is a favourite author of mine
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love to read! I love the emily griffin books, sophie kinsella books (confessions of a shopaholic series), lauren weisenberger books (devil wears prada), jennifer weiner books (good in bed etc. ) love senseless girlie books and books like Go Ask Alice.
    love love love books.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am really into Kathy Reichs at the moment, I also enjoy Nicholas Sparks books. I would like a Kindel one day,a s I do not have much room in my house, and the backlight is appealing for reading in bed.

I only buy from resale book stores.
  • poisongirl1
    poisongirl1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love to read! I love the emily griffin books, sophie kinsella books (confessions of a shopaholic series), lauren weisenberger books (devil wears prada), jennifer weiner books (good in bed etc. ) love senseless girlie books and books like Go Ask Alice.
    love love love books.

I really liked Go Ask Alice too! I got it back in junior high and thought it was so good, I should read it again sometime, there's a lot I forget.
  • potuschris
    Options
    Reading is one of my favorite things to do! Love all kinds of books, and I'm in love with my Kindle - I take it every where. I initially thought I wouldn't like reading on a screen and would miss a book... I was quickly proven wrong. Some favorites are Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, James Patterson books, Nicholas Sparks books, Jodi Picoult books. My all-time favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird.
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker and Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks are my all time faves. I'm also a big fan of Toni Morrison and any WW1 fiction or poetry :)
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Atlas Shrugged
    Unintended Consequences
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    To Kill a Mockingbird.

Awesome novel. I'm teaching it at the moment and the kids love it too. Such a classic.
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    love love love books.

I really liked Go Ask Alice too! I got it back in junior high and thought it was so good, I should read it again sometime, there's a lot I forget.
    I got it back in junior high as well, I still have it, I am planning on reading it again soon too! its a great book. :bigsmile:
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love to read and have a little library in my home. I will never get a kindle because I have to have the actual book. My favorites are Gone with the Wind ~ Margaret Mitchel, Neverwhere ~ Neil Gaiman, Their Eyes Were Watching God ~ Zora Neale Hurston, A Tree Grown in Brooklyn ~ Betty Smith, Girl with a pearl earring ~ Tracy Chevalier. Just to name a few.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    ..and what about you???

I take the bus to and from work, so I get to read at least two hours a day! So AWESOME!
    I really enjoy mystery thrillers and, on occasion, a heartfelt romance. Some of my favorites include
    Kiss Me, Kill Me
    Blindsighted
    Waterfall
    Nocturne (I'm reading it now...havent finished it but have a feeling its going to be a favorite).

I use goodreads.com to get ideas and read reviews. It's a great tool!