there is a thin line between hunger and boredom

Options
Bean615
Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
when i am bored at work i just keep snacking away. does anyone else have this problem? what do you do to distract yourself from eating??

Replies

• kikimichelle88
    Options
    Drink a glass of ice cold water, or take a quick walk and have a chat with someone along the way. I find when I am bored and want a snack i just get up and do something, and it generally takes my mind off of it! :)
  • kikican82
    Options
    I was doing the same thing (before MFP). Now, I get up and refill my water cup and finish it, which causes me to have to go to the bathroom like every hour. With all of the little trips up and down, I'm less bored and less likely to mindlessly snack...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Get yourself into the habit of asking "am I really hungry or am I just bored?" 9 times out of 10, it's boredom. I have the same problem, especially on the weekends when hubby is off doing something and I'm supposed to be cleaning the house but don't feel like it. LOL!

ETA - missed the part about you being at work - need to re-write

Would it be possible for you to get up from your desk and go for a walk? Are you allowed to read or play games on your computer when you're not busy?

If not, your best bet is to not have any tempting this at your desk but only snacks that are light and/or healthy. Nuts, fruit, dry cereal, snack bars, etc. And don't allow yourself to snag something out of the candy bowl or buy something from the vending machine!!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have a to-do list on my desk with EVERYTHING from work and home that needs doing. If I get the boredom nibbles I can refer to the list. It can be something as simple as looking up the movie times for date night on Friday to filling in my expenses form (or finding some internal envelopes). Whatever the task, it will take my mind off the need to nibble. I also keep plenty of low-cal food on my desk like carrot sticks. Amazing how unattractive a chocolate biscuit is when you have a nice clean carrot taste in your mouth!
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I log everything I put in my mouth, and I plan for my day. Mindless grazing is just that - mindless. Be mindful of your food. If you can chew gum, chew it - that may help with the oral habit. I can't because I clench my jaws in my sleep and my dentist said I have the jaw of a pitbull now. lol

One thing that is helping me enormously is having pretty much the same thing day after day while at work. Oatmeal for breakfast, a cheese stick at around 11am, and apple or banana around noon, and a protein shake and Luna bar for "lunch". Then I mix it up for dinner. I've added in some raw trail mix as a small change.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I get something to drink and constantly chew gum!!