Bonked after workout

Options
Just got done doing an hour on the treadmill at 3.0/455 calories. Got back to my desk and totally bonked. weak, shaky, depleted. Had an omlette for breakfast and a couple of oreos for a snack. what do you eat prior to a workout so you dont bonk?

Replies

• mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    I'm asuming you're not from UK as we have a totally different meaning for bonking.lol.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Iusually drink a protein something. I still feel that way when I don't take enough protein
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Drink a protein shake. It'll help.

And I thought this said "boink" and not "bonk". Not sure where you are from - but, "bonk" in my neck of the woods doesn't usually mean tired or shaky. lol.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    mags i was thinking the exact same thing!
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In Britain you would be lucky to get bonked ;-)
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    BONK!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bonking

Personally, I'd be happy to bonk after a work out. And I find that I'm a bit shaky afterwards too. If it's been good that is.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Just got done doing an hour on the treadmill at 3.0/455 calories. Got back to my desk and totally bonked. weak, shaky, depleted. Had an omlette for breakfast and a couple of oreos for a snack. what do you eat prior to a workout so you dont bonk?

Carbs before, protein after.

It'll get better if you keep it up...I promise.
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    well definitely NOT oreos! LOL :laugh:

I will usually have a fresh fruit or a slice of peanut butter toast or a fiber bar (or protein bar) there are many healthy things that you can eat...usually you just have to follow your body, if I am doing a REALLY intense workout I will eat more than if I am just doing a light one....:wink:
  • Jess22542
    Options
    Not oreos! Haha. Try something that gives you more sustained energy (rather than a sugar burst that leads to a crash). I will have a cup of vanilla low-fat yogurt, with a cup of sliced strawberries, and topped with a small handful of granola. My own homemade fruit parfait. Only about 150 calories. Then, post workout, try another small snack. A granola bar or handful of almonds and a banana are good choices.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm asuming you're not from UK as we have a totally different meaning for bonking.lol.

Yes, I was just popping along to suggest it had a different meaning for us....

Still, sounds like a good way to end a workout. Perhaps a shower first though?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert by any means, but I have read and learned that you need to prepare your body for a intensive workout by loading carbs before and protein afterwards. Recent studies show low fat chocolate milk or gatorade would do the job after workout and make you bonk less. LOL.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The key is how you feel. Do what works best for you. Snacks eaten soon before exercise probably won't give you added energy, but they can help keep up your blood sugar and prevent distracting hunger pangs.

Good snack options include:

Energy bars or drinks
    Bananas or other fresh fruit
    Yogurt
    Fruit smoothies
    Whole-grain bagel or crackers with peanut butter
    Granola bars

A healthy snack is especially important if you plan a workout several hours after a meal. Good luck!
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple pieces of multi-grain toast.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You might want to type in bonked and see the definition you get back.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I had to a double take on bonked too Lol! :embarassed:
    That sort of activity in my office would be frowned on and could lead to the divorce courts!!:tongue:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bonk.... Yeah, not what I was thinking.... LOL
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I thought we had the same definition in the U.S. Maybe it's just my area of the U.S. Cuz I don't think OP meant "bonked."
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options

LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking too.

I usually have a protein drink. Or apple slices and natural peanut butter about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I never knew "bonk" had such pleasant connotations...:love:
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    LOL....you said "bonked". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: