OK I DONT UNDERSTAND!

Options
Random thought here, but since Ive been trying to eliminate soda from my diet, I get bad headaches from the caffiene withdrawl....

So It got me thinking, Why do we go through withdrawl from all the bad stuff when people try to quit drinking, smoking, drugs, even caffiene or sugar???
Why shouldnt we go through withdrawl when we stop putting the good stuff in our bodies?
wouldnt it make more sense that your body SHOULD WANT the good stuff???

I mean really have you ever heard of broccoli withdrawl?

OK now that I got that off my chest, LOL HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!

Replies

• ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    i never thought of that! it's a really good point!!!!
    gee - how much easier would it be for us to eat "right" if we got withdrawl from the GOOD stuff!!!! "'scuse me...i NEED some spinach" :flowerforyou:
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Maybe we do get withdrawal but the symptoms are different? Changed bowel habits, less energy, skin problems, etc?
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    i never thought of that! it's a really good point!!!!
    gee - how much easier would it be for us to eat "right" if we got withdrawl from the GOOD stuff!!!! "'scuse me...i NEED some spinach" :flowerforyou:
    Hey Buddy... We gotta go to the local farmers market! Igotta get me some veggies!
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    Maybe we do get withdrawal but the symptoms are different? Changed bowel habits, less energy, skin problems, etc?
    we do for sure, but if they were more drastic & painful, maybe we would all be healtier!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also love how our bodies punish us for doing something good for it ie. It hurts like hell the first days after you start working out after not doing it for God only knows how long.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    In a way we do go through a withdrawl, just in a different way, at least I do. I grew up eating pretty well and I know when I would eat bad food I felt terrible, I couldn't to eat something good to make the stomach stuff and general ****ty feelings go away. In a sense that is a side effect.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I feel withdrawals if I don't get enough water!!
    Once I had a hair appointment that took WAY too long and I was parched walking out of the salon....and that was only 4 hrs without agua ;-D
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that when I eat well I feel great and when I eat something that isn't so good I feel pretty bad...basically my body telling me not to eat that bad thing. Pretty much the same thing, no?
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Random thought here, but since Ive been trying to eliminate soda from my diet, I get bad headaches from the caffiene withdrawl....

So It got me thinking, Why do we go through withdrawl from all the bad stuff when people try to quit drinking, smoking, drugs, even caffiene or sugar???
    Why shouldnt we go through withdrawl when we stop putting the good stuff in our bodies?
    wouldnt it make more sense that your body SHOULD WANT the good stuff???

OK now that I got that off my chest, LOL HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!
    :laugh: :laugh:
    I think we do suffer if we are eating good food and stop..its just not as obvious as junk food...when I am eating well and suddenly stop, I am tired, headachy sick to my stomach, constipated, bloated...I haven't had as many issues since I started eating better. Time for a spinach carrot smoothie. Getting the shakes. :laugh:
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I believe we suffer when dropping bad habits simply because our bodies have become artificially dependent on the unnatural ingredients in the vice (sugar, caffeine, nicotine, etc.).
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    I think we do suffer if we are eating good food and stop..its just not as obvious as junk food...when I am eating well and suddenly stop, I am tired, headachy sick to my stomach, constipated, bloated...I haven't had as many issues since I started eating better. Time for a spinach carrot smoothie. Getting the shakes. :laugh:
    [/quote]
    I agree I feel good when I eat good, but I just find it a little funny that our body throws a slap down fit when you stop putting poisons in it after youve been taking them a long time, but is only mildly argumenative when you eat poorly.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I totally notice how crappy I feel when I start eating a bunch of white carb food and don't get enough veggies and fruit. It takes a day or so, but I can tell now. It took me a long time to realize that is what was causing it though. We are so used to just blaming how we feel physically on an illness and aren't really programmed to look at our diets in the US.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I got withdrawal from sugar - headaches mostly, then I felt a bit down in the afternoons because I was missing my sugar pick me up, since I went paleo that has mostly disappeared which is nice.

I get withdrawal from exercise too, I feel awfully tired and groggy if I don't get up and move.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Most things we like cause a "happy" sensation and a release of dopamine into the brain. Like any other withdrawl, people experience headaches, nausea, tremors, anxiety etc.
    Since most good food is relatively for eating for survival, it may not produce the same sensation. Since junk foods are mostly "treat" items, they signal the brain that it's "happy" food.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that now that I've been eating relatively cleanly for months, that if I eat poorly, my body reacts badly to it (bloated, uncomfortable, sick to the stomach), and I DO crave meat, veggies, and fruit. So my body has recognized what is right and good, and calls me out on it when I mistreat it.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    ^ Yeah, it's called constipation