English fish and chips

Options
It says less than 500 cals for a generic fish and chips - can't believe that!! Really?

Replies

• h0taru
    h0taru Posts: 43
    Options
    With grilled fish and little portion ( children size) of chips, why not? You can propably even add a portion of ketchup and be under the 500 cal.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I'm surprised it's that low. Grease is HIGH caloric and so is the breaded/tempura stuff around the fish.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA on what planet? I think you need to enter them in seperately and state that it's fried fish.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    is it more or less then you where expecting? That is less then I would think depending on the size. Out portion sizes are huge in the states so it would be over a 1000 here for a "serving".
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would double it at least! Probably 700-800 in decent portion of chips alone.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    i dont believe that either! now thanks for putting that image of golden fish and fries w/ hushpuppies in my head!!! *pouts
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    lol - sorry guys but I have to agree with you. Someone was living on another planet if they thought it was only 500 cals. Just proves you have to have your wits about you and not just enter and not think about it. Realistically I think it must be 1000 cals. So much grease and batter!! We only had it because the water in our area was turned off tonight so we were a bit limited. (yep, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)
  • avimoo
    avimoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    if you type in uk chip shop chippy battered cod and chips it comes up at 700 calories per portion.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I went to the chip shop the other night and found that database entry and though no way, never ever is it only that much!

I used this entry for the chips
    "My Food - Fried "Chip Shop" Chips"

weighed my chips and had 200g of them (which wasn't the whole regular portion, about 2/3s of it) and that came out as 478 cals without any fish!
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    With grilled fish and little portion ( children size) of chips, why not? You can propably even add a portion of ketchup and be under the 500 cal.

English style fish and chips won't have grilled fish, it'll be deep-fried in batter. :smile:
  • h0taru
    h0taru Posts: 43
    Options

English style fish and chips won't have grilled fish, it'll be deep-fried in batter. :smile:

Yes, but you can still cheat with receipe :D
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    .UK Fish & Chip Shop - Cod in Batter

Large Calories 556 Fat 34.8
    Medium Calories 444 Fat 27.8
    Small Calories 296 Fat 18.5

Medium chips Calories 394 Fat 20.5

So a small portion of battered fish with a small portion of chips could well be around 500 - 600.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I went to the chip shop the other night and found that database entry and though no way, never ever is it only that much!

I used this entry for the chips
    "My Food - Fried "Chip Shop" Chips"

weighed my chips and had 200g of them (which wasn't the whole regular portion, about 2/3s of it) and that came out as 478 cals without any fish!

Now we're at least in the right ball park!!
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think as others have mentioned it depends on the size of the portion. if you were to have a small or mini fish and chips, yeah it maybe around 500cals but for a regular size it will be closer 900.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    What I would look for if I was trying to see how bad something *could* be - Sodexo, my company's catering contractor. This one is in the database and matches what their website provides for nutritional data.

Sodexo Pub Style Fish and Chips
    (1 Platter)
    Calories: 1070
    Total Fat: 72g
    Saturated 11g
    Polyunsaturated 0g
    Monounsaturated 0g
    Trans 1g
    Cholesterol 85mg

Sodium 1880 mg (!!!!!!!!!!)
    Potassium 0mg
    Total Carbs 76 g
    Fiber 6g
    Sugar 7 g
    Protein 28g

Vitamin A 20%
    Vitamin C 90%
    Calcium 15%
    Iron 20%
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Well, i remember seeing this in our local chippy a while back...

http://www.theskyliner.co.uk/images/nutrition_image.jpg