Karate as cardio?

mwlussier
mwlussier Posts: 4
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi team - Does anyone out there do karate, and if so, would that be considered a cardio workout? I'm thinking of taking classes (it's on my list of things to do before I die), and am wondering how it fits into a fitness program. Thanks for the thoughts!!

Replies

• Hi team - Does anyone out there do karate, and if so, would that be considered a cardio workout? I'm thinking of taking classes (it's on my list of things to do before I die), and am wondering how it fits into a fitness program. Thanks for the thoughts!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    are you KIDDING ME!!! My son was in the best shape of his LIFE doing Karate!!

You work harder in 1hour of Karate class than some of my DVDs! And you get such a feeling of accomplishment and disipline.

Go for it!:glasses:
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Martial arts are WONDERFUL for cardio and calorie burning. It all depends on the teacher, class, and style, of course (Tai Chi would burn less calories compared to something like Muay Thai), but they are in general very good.

I also find that, with a good instructor, it doesn't feel like exercise at all, it's actually fun, educational, and interesting. As an added bonus, I've met some of my best friends through martial arts, as students come from all walks of life. You wouldn't otherwise meet the folks you do in those types of classes.

Go for it!
This discussion has been closed.