1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 taco shells, finely crushed (about 1 1/2 ounces)
2 egg whites
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 pounds ground round
Vegetable cooking spray
Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°. Combine first 12 ingredients in a large bowl, and stir well. Crumble beef over vegetable mixture, and stir just until blended.

Pack mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until meat loaf registers 160°. Let meat loaf stand in pan 10 minutes.

Remove meat loaf from pan; cut loaf into 16 slices. Serve with commercial salsa, if desired.

Sandwich suggestion: Serve leftover meat loaf slices in taco shells; top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, and shredded cheese.

Nutritional Information
Calories:234 (29% from fat)
Fat:7.5g (sat 2.3g,mono 3.2g,poly 0.9g)
Protein:28.9g
Carbohydrate:11.6g
Fiber:1.9g
Cholesterol:66mg
Iron:4.1mg
Sodium:483mg

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Rio Grande Meat Loaf

Yield
    8 servings (serving size: 2 slices)

Ingredients
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    4 taco shells, finely crushed (about 1 1/2 ounces)
    2 egg whites
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 pounds ground round
    Vegetable cooking spray
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°. Combine first 12 ingredients in a large bowl, and stir well. Crumble beef over vegetable mixture, and stir just until blended.

Pack mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until meat loaf registers 160°. Let meat loaf stand in pan 10 minutes.

Remove meat loaf from pan; cut loaf into 16 slices. Serve with commercial salsa, if desired.

Sandwich suggestion: Serve leftover meat loaf slices in taco shells; top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, and shredded cheese.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:234 (29% from fat)
    Fat:7.5g (sat 2.3g,mono 3.2g,poly 0.9g)
    Protein:28.9g
    Carbohydrate:11.6g
    Fiber:1.9g
    Cholesterol:66mg
    Iron:4.1mg
    Sodium:483mg
  • chickadee10
    Options
    That sounds so good! And I don't even like beef. I just might make that sometime in the future.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    YUM!!!!! :love:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    That sounds so good! And I don't even like beef. I just might make that sometime in the future.

I will probably use ground turkey instead since my husband doesn't eat beef! Turkey loaf is great too! :wink:
  • Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    this is kind of a dumb question but how do you log this or any recipe into the food diary?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    this is kind of a dumb question but how do you log this or any recipe into the food diary?
    You can enter it in yourself with the name and the nutrition info, just as you would any packaged item.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Meat loaf, schmeet loaf, I hate meat loaf.
    double beatloaf!!

I love meatloaf actually!!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My grandma always made lots of meat loaf, so I'm quite fond of it.

I've been on a Mexican food kick, but refraining from a restaurant blowout, so this dish is making my mouth water.

Haha, I'm back in Texas, as I go to school in San Francisco. Tex-Mex and I have had a very tearful reunion.

"Phoenixflame, come, you must see the children! Burrito, Chalupa, they've missed you so!"
    "No, Tex-Mex...they can't see me like this! I'll lose control!"
    "But Phoenixflame!"
    "I'm sorry!"
    "And I suppose you've turned your back on Queso, Mole, and Sour Cream?"
    "Well...I sill see Salsa sometimes."
    "Salsa! That slut, watering herself down for whatever state that wants a taste. Where did you last see her--Safeway, Taco Bell?!"
    "Lucky's....I'm sorry, Tex-Mex."

Ahem, yeah, I've been craving some Tex-Mex.
  • Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Pheonixflame- I love your reunion with Tex-Mex. Very funny but oh so nice to reaquaint with favorite foods. I'm from the south and miss good ole fried chicken, tater salad and greens myself.
  • chickadee10
    Options
    Occassionally I'll eat beef. Last night I ate that dirty rice stuff. I haven't had meatloaf in a long time, but I eat it, since I don't have it often.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Pheonixflame- I love your reunion with Tex-Mex. Very funny but oh so nice to reaquaint with favorite foods. I'm from the south and miss good ole fried chicken, tater salad and greens myself.

You are describing my childhood Sunday lunch! We used to usually alternate between that and roast beef with mashed potatoes and green beans.

I'm happy that I managed to find a pretty low-cal way to recreate fried chicken though, using Hungry Girl's recipe.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Oooo...yum! This could satisfy my Mexican food cravings! :laugh:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Meat loaf, schmeet loaf, I hate meat loaf.
    double beatloaf!!

I love meatloaf actually!!

ok---that made me laugh out loud......"how do the little piggies eat"......that right....LMAO
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    this sounds so good.....I always make turkey meatloaf and the kids love it....but, alas....they wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole if I put black bean in it..LOL....I could leave them out, and put the beans on the side....hum....that could work
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    This sounds great Tami - thanks..

I will make this sometime this week. jb
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yum, yum, yum! I made this tonight and LOVED it!!!