HRM for tracking miles when running?

Options
It's my dads birthday tomorrow and I want to get him a watch that displays the distance as he is running so he can tell how far he has gone without having to plan his run before hand. I'm not so much worried about HRM feature because i don't think he would wear that.
Does anyone know a good HRM to this without any additions like a footpod? I've been looking at garmin and polar but I don't really understand if they have this feature built in or not

Replies

• Jetjedi
    Jetjedi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use a Casio pedometer model SGW200-1VCF. It tracks my distance, calories, time and other stuff but best of all it looks like a normal watch. Some of those HRM watches look weird.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Does he have a smartphone? If so, there are some great apps that do the job you're after. Not great for a gift, as they're mostly free. But mapmyrun is my fave. There's also endomondo, runkeeper, and a bunch of others.

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful, is it?
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks i'll look into the Casio!

He has a very old phone. In fact I don't even think it has colour screen haha. Suprising for a businessman.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend a garmin. I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 and it is an amazing running tool. The GPS is spot on and it also includes a HRM strap. You can get them on amazon for less than $140.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend a garmin. I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 and it is an amazing running tool. The GPS is spot on and it also includes a HRM strap. You can get them on amazon for less than $140.

Thanks that's the one I was thinking of getting
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 tracks distance.. you want one with a GPS.