I have less than 20 pounds to lose, but it's proving difficu

Options
I've lost about 5 pounds since I started watching my intake and exercising at the beginning of June, but I still would like to lose another 15-17 pounds. I have heard that the less you have to lose, the harder it is, but I have not seen the scale budge in weeks and it is very frustrating! I have had some NSVs, such as fitting into old jeans and losing some inches, but I would really prefer to see the scale moving, too. I usually eat 1,200-1,400 cals/day, and exercise almost every day. Can anyone take a look at my diary and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

- Sarah
(Height: 5'1, SW: 132, CW: 126-127, GW: 110-112)

Replies

• proctorgirl07
    proctorgirl07 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump - wish i could help but having same problem. Hope to hear what others tell u.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    I'm in a pretty similar situation as you. I won't see the scale move for weeks and then I'll drop a pound or two. Just be patient! I'm sure you're doing everything right. Maybe bump up your cals by 100 or so? Sometimes that helps me
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Eat back all of your exercise calories. I noticed that you have quite a few days where you have a couple hundred left over. I was at a plateau for about 6 weeks and I finally bit the bullet and ate back every exercise calorie and set my net at 1350 and voila! After a weekend of doing this I am down a pound after not having ANY change for 6 weeks. Good luck!
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I believe you need to eat closer to the calorie goal MFP gives you each day.

If you set up MFP right to start with then the daily calorie goal that MFP gives you already has a calorie deficit built in to lose weight. That said, you should eat close to the calorie goal MFP gives you each day including eating back most of your exercise calories. Depending on how far under the daily calorie goal you are, you are very likely to cause your body to hang onto the fat it has by either slowing down or even stopping fat loss. It may not happen right away but eventually you will most likely plateau. If you have a lot of weight to lose you can probably get away with it longer but as you have less to lose your body will plateau easier. May sound counter-intuitive but that's just the way it is.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Try eating a little more :) Usually helps me if I stall out. Sometimes our bodies need more to calories! Esp if we're working out.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Count me in. :( But I sitll have hopes. As long as I keep it going, I should see the result someday.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough calories. Eat closer to 1,600 calories a day and I think you will see a difference. Make sure you are eating back your exercise calories.
  • kendallliz
    Options
    I've heard from many people that when things plateau its time to mix it up. Mix up your workouts and try throwing a higher calorie day in a week. Its good to keep your metabolism guessing!!
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options

If you set up MFP right to start with then the daily calorie goal that MFP gives you already has a calorie deficit built in to lose weight. That said, you should eat close to the calorie goal MFP gives you each day including eating back most of your exercise calories. Depending on how far under the daily calorie goal you are, you are very likely to cause your body to hang onto the fat it has by either slowing down or even stopping fat loss. It may not happen right away but eventually you will most likely plateau. If you have a lot of weight to lose you can probably get away with it longer but as you have less to lose your body will plateau easier. May sound counter-intuitive but that's just the way it is.

I will try to wrestle my brain into being okay with eating back some exercise calories...it seems SO wrong, but so many people on here swear by it, so I guess I will try it out! Do you (or anyone else) have suggestions for things I can eat to increase my calories but not so much carbs/fat?
  • Michelle9939
    Options

I will try to wrestle my brain into being okay with eating back some exercise calories...it seems SO wrong, but so many people on here swear by it, so I guess I will try it out! Do you (or anyone else) have suggestions for things I can eat to increase my calories but not so much carbs/fat?
    It definitely works! I know it sounds weird that if you eat more you will lose weight but it works.
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Raw veggies!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try eating a lot more. So there are two methods you can approach this. Both are effective and both will produce results. Based on the info you provided, here is some basic information on your basal metabolic rate and your total daily energy expended as well as the source of information. If you go by the calcuations, even if you are moderately active, you should be eating about 2000 calories a day. This already includes the deficit for weight loss. Now, once of the best ways to lose weight is to increase your metabolism so you can burn more calories. You do this with a good workout program that includes cardio (HIIT preferrably) but more importantly strength training. Increasing your bodies muscle mass will increase the amount of fat you have. The more muscle, the smaller and tighter your body will be. And the more muscle you have the more calories you burn. This is the main approach you should take while trying to overcome your weight. For me, I am working to get off the last 4% body fat. If i lose weight, cool.... if I gain weight, whatever. For me, it's about body composition. I rather see muscle and definition and be 195 than 185 and less defintion. Also below is another resource to help you under BMR and TDEE.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1382 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1601
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1834
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2068
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2301
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2535

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html
  • psuLemon
    Options

Next thing... Fat does NOT make you fat. Excessive calories do. In fact, fat is very healthy for you if it comes from the right sources. Look at some of the super foods (avocado, nuts, olive oil). They are all high in fat and a good source of calories. Low fat diets are not good for you. All those low fat substitutes are full of artificial crap and unheathy for your body. Look into protein bars or whey protein (mixed with milk) to get some good calories. Have peanut butter and the super foods. All are high calorie and lower carb. Also, don't be afraid of complex carbs. Complex carbs are your main source of energy and can lead to a more productive day.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Just eat any healthy food as you would any other time.

Some people have trouble "eating back" their calories at the end of the day. I generally have my meals and exercise for the day planned in the morning or the night before. This way I know approximately what my exercise calorie burn will be and I plan my meals through the day to "pre-eat" enough calories so that I can just eat a sensible supper and maybe a snack. Been working great!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Just eat any healthy food as you would any other time.

Some people have trouble "eating back" their calories at the end of the day. I generally have my meals and exercise for the day planned in the morning or the night before. This way I know approximately what my exercise calorie burn will be and I plan my meals through the day to "pre-eat" enough calories so that I can just eat a sensible supper and maybe a snack. Been working great!

This is also why I use the website I posted to figure out my daily caloric needs. The formula already increase my exercise into the TDEE factor and associated deficit. Regardless of my workout, I still eat my 3000 calories a day and it has proven to work for me and many others. But this is good advice too.
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Next thing... Fat does NOT make you fat. Excessive calories do. In fact, fat is very healthy for you if it comes from the right sources. Look at some of the super foods (avocado, nuts, olive oil). They are all high in fat and a good source of calories. Low fat diets are not good for you. All those low fat substitutes are full of artificial crap and unheathy for your body. Look into protein bars or whey protein (mixed with milk) to get some good calories. Have peanut butter and the super foods. All are high calorie and lower carb. Also, don't be afraid of complex carbs. Complex carbs are your main source of energy and can lead to a more productive day.

I do try to take in plenty of good fats, I love avocado, fish, nuts, and olive oil. I eat Luna bars occasionally and get the EAS carb control protein shakes. I probably need to find a good complex carb source that doesn't make me feel guilty.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale doesn't matter if you are losing inches.

If you are losing inches and not losing weight it means you are raising your muscle mass and lowering body fat.

And trust me that's a bigger accomplishment than moving the scale.
    A after all is hard work to lose real body fat and gain muscle and all you have to do to move the scale in a day is take a poop.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I do try to take in plenty of good fats, I love avocado, fish, nuts, and olive oil. I eat Luna bars occasionally and get the EAS carb control protein shakes. I probably need to find a good complex carb source that doesn't make me feel guilty.

Fruits and veggies.. Below is a thread i started because I need more carbs.. And dont' feel guilty. People put too much crap out there that people (especially women) are afraid to eat. Complex carbs = good, refined sugar = bad, fat = good, protein = good.. And more importantly, CALORIES = GREAT!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/330430-more-carbs-idea-help-please
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale doesn't matter if you are losing inches.

If you are losing inches and not losing weight it means you are raising your muscle mass and lowering body fat.

And trust me that's a bigger accomplishment than moving the scale.
    A after all is hard work to lose real body fat and gain muscle and all you have to do to move the scale in a day is take a poop.
    Although it sounds reasonable, it's not that easy to raise muscle this quickly, particularly for women. I'm not losing weight but did drop a few inches here and there, but I think that was because my muscles are more toned and my body retains less water. I don't think I gain even a couple of pounds of muscles. However, that is just me. Everyone is different. :)
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You need ot mix it up. I lost 10lbs in my first two months, then 2 more but I kept gaining and losing those 2. I finally had a week with no exercise because I was too busy. That's change #1. Then I upped my calories for a week. Change #2. Then I cut my calories back to my weight loss level. change #3 and then I changed my cardio from 20 minutes twice a day to 50-60 minutes once a day. change #4. I finally managed to keep the 2lbs off and another one to boot all in one week.