Emotionally Sucked Dry

Options
Ok. So it's been a tough week. After an 11# weight loss in the first 2 weeks, I gained 1/2# this week. I'm eating healthier, but not yet to my personal trainers standards. I've increased my protein & fiber, but am having a hard time getting even 1000 calories in some days. I am 14 years post bariatric surgery & can't eat large meals. My work life makes it difficult to eat every 3 hours as he wants. I've totally quit drinking Diet Mountain Dew after many years of at least four 44oz jugs daily. I'm drinking at least 10 glasses of water most days. I'm taking all of my prescribed meds & supplements. I've gone from couch potato to exercising every day, but currently have a neck issue that is limiting some of what my trainer would like me to do. I think he thinks I'm being a whiner, but I'm just trying to keep myself safe. I went to him because he's the BEST in our area & get's results, but it's like he's a NFL coach & I'm an elementary school flag football player. Seriously stressed & emotional, but I'm not giving up. How do you snap out of the funk? HELP!

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    You're paying HIM. You need to tell him that you're not whining, you're trying to keep yourself from causing an injury. If he's really the best, then he'll understand and he'll accommodate you. If he won't, see someone else.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't let your trainer push you out of all the AMAZING healthy changes you've made so far!! Tell him/her to BACK OFF for a bit.

Look at all the things you've done and let them settle in... 10.5 pounds in 3 weeks is still HUGE considering 2 pounds per week is what is recommended.

Your trainer does not live your life. You pay your trainer to help - not make you a frazzled mess.

You are doing GREAT. Just keep doing what you've already done so far and slowly make additional improvements. If you push too hard too fast you could really go off the rails and undo your hard work.

You're doing great!

:flowerforyou:
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Absolute agreement with the above statements! :-D
  • SuperHappySmiley
    Options
    In addition to what the others said (because those are both really good responses), if you need more calories with less volume, nuts, nut butters, avocados, and heart-healthy oils are fantastic options.... since 1000 calories is still really low (I think).
  • paperpusher3
    paperpusher3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would qualify as emotionally sucked dry also but for different reasons that I won't go into. About you... Have you considered that the half pound weight gain, which I personally wouldn't worry about, might be muscle gain which weighs more. If your having trouble getting the calories in because of not being able large meals, have you thought about eating high calorie small portion like protein bars, protein shakes, etc. You do need carbs too for rapid energy release and to keep your kidneys healthy. I've had a bad experience with a personal trainer who was too young and not experienced working with someone who was as out of shape as I was. I tried to tell her and she pushed and I did what she said and ended up injured. That put my knee out of commission as far as exercise for a month. Have you thought about taking your concerns to your nutrionist? As for the trainer, have a talk with him and if you don't feel he's taking your concerns seriously, maybe he's not the person for you. Just my thoughts.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about: He may be the "best" in the area, but is he the best for YOU?

You should feeling the trainer feeling dead and accomplished. Not drained and sucked dry. This is about your health, not about pleasing him. I know you have it in you, you've already done amazing work and made huge changes. Critically think about your relationship with him and what you want, not what he wants. That's the most important thing.

Good luck!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You are making positive changes in your life. Your trainer should make you feel good about the progress you are making and the progress you will make - not awful about the things you haven't accomplished yet.

I urge you to seek a different trainer.
  • rufflestx
    Options
    my trainer and my doctor (I am kissing 60) said as long as I saw my body getting firmer and lost inches not to even get on a scale. It helped me, the first time I put my hands in my pocket to fish for my keys and I felt A MUSCLE I almost danced to the car. I also have issues with some of the exercises because of parts of my body that isn't as young or weak from damage. I just kept digging on the internet and picking my trainers brain for exercises that saved damaging my wrists and neck. Keep up the good work.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but I also recommend seeing a Chiropracter or DO (osteopath) about your neck.... I know I am not able to give 110% if my body is running at 90 :wink:

hang tough, you are doing great :drinker:
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I would qualify as emotionally sucked dry also but for different reasons that I won't go into. About you... Have you considered that the half pound weight gain, which I personally wouldn't worry about, might be muscle gain which weighs more. If your having trouble getting the calories in because of not being able large meals, have you thought about eating high calorie small portion like protein bars, protein shakes, etc. You do need carbs too for rapid energy release and to keep your kidneys healthy. I've had a bad experience with a personal trainer who was too young and not experienced working with someone who was as out of shape as I was. I tried to tell her and she pushed and I did what she said and ended up injured. That put my knee out of commission as far as exercise for a month. Have you thought about taking your concerns to your nutrionist? As for the trainer, have a talk with him and if you don't feel he's taking your concerns seriously, maybe he's not the person for you. Just my thoughts.

muscle does not weigh more..a pound of feathers is the same as a pound of lead, both being a pound that is.

also, I would tell him to back off, like others said. I have a friend who is a PT and he admits they work off what your goals are as a template, everyone is different though, you gotta tell him what it is doing to you so that he knows.
    have a sit down with him and I am sure he will back off.