Asthmatics Unite!!! (and wheeze with me)

Phoenix_Rising
Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
:grumble:
I've been off my daily asthma meds (singulair, advair, claritin supplemented with albuterol rescue inhaler) since September 2007. Since then, I have used my inhaler once. Maybe.

Out of the blue, I started wheezing lightly two or three days ago. I did the asthmatic thing-- and tried to ignore it. Although my wheezing isn't noisy yet, I could not ignore the tightening in my chest today. Used the rescue inhaler.... three times this morning.

I hate that jittery feeling albuterol gives.

Called the doc for a refill on the albuterol inhaler. I always keep two on hand, and today I realized one was out and the other is only half full. Since I haven't asked for a refill in so long, they want me to be seen. I refused.... then relented. Denial won't make the asthma go away or improve. And even with all the albuterol and caffeine I've been pushing this morning, I still don't think I'm moving air quite right.

I hate asthma.
I hate asthma.
I hate asthma.

My 5k training has been shelved until I can get this back under control, dangit. :grumble: I suppose that includes all other vigorous workouts. :indifferent:

(Thanks for letting me vent.)

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    :grumble:
    I've been off my daily asthma meds (singulair, advair, claritin supplemented with albuterol rescue inhaler) since September 2007. Since then, I have used my inhaler once. Maybe.

Out of the blue, I started wheezing lightly two or three days ago. I did the asthmatic thing-- and tried to ignore it. Although my wheezing isn't noisy yet, I could not ignore the tightening in my chest today. Used the rescue inhaler.... three times this morning.

I hate that jittery feeling albuterol gives.

Called the doc for a refill on the albuterol inhaler. I always keep two on hand, and today I realized one was out and the other is only half full. Since I haven't asked for a refill in so long, they want me to be seen. I refused.... then relented. Denial won't make the asthma go away or improve. And even with all the albuterol and caffeine I've been pushing this morning, I still don't think I'm moving air quite right.

I hate asthma.
    I hate asthma.
    I hate asthma.

My 5k training has been shelved until I can get this back under control, dangit. :grumble: I suppose that includes all other vigorous workouts. :indifferent:

(Thanks for letting me vent.)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    dh & dd both have asthma, awful disease to be inflicted with. :flowerforyou:
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Lauryn, I feel your pain!

I commend you for even attempting a 5k. Running kicks in my asthma quicker than anything else. I tried for a year - a full year! - to run 3-4x a week and maxed out at 1.5 miles before my lungs quit. It was just too discouraging. Typically now I stick to walking/hiking/etc.... just not running!

I agree about the albuterol, it makes my heart rate jump and I do not like that at all. There is also some research saying prolonged use contributes to later bone loss, which is scary. I have yet to find an asthma med that doesn't impact me with side effects (Singulair caused me a NASTY upper resp. infection... thought it was just coincidence, but it happened 2x, and it is indeed listed in the possible side effects), so I typically do the ignore thing as well, or at least take myself out of any inducing situation ASAP.

Good luck getting things back under control! I also noticed some foods/environmental variables had a major impact on how well I was breathing - if you haven't been in to an immunologist for a scratch test recently, you may want to consider it!
  • anony999
    I will also add - if you experience ANY mild heartburn/reflux, that absolutely does increase the chances and severity of asthma attacks. Learned that the hard way! If you need GERD-control tips, let me know.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    I will also add - if you experience ANY mild heartburn/reflux, that absolutely does increase the chances and severity of asthma attacks. Learned that the hard way! If you need GERD-control tips, let me know.

:laugh: I had NO idea the two were connected!! I started having GERD symptoms in Oct 2005. Went on and off the meds.... I despise medication. Had an ulcer but no pain in January 2007 and due to medication I was taking (motrin), the ulcer perforated my stomach (blew a hole through the side). Emergency surgery to patch me up and daily meds to control my ulcer forevermore!
  • anony999

:laugh: I had NO idea the two were connected!! I started having GERD symptoms in Oct 2005. Went on and off the meds.... I despise medication. Had an ulcer but no pain in January 2007 and due to medication I was taking (motrin), the ulcer perforated my stomach (blew a hole through the side). Emergency surgery to patch me up and daily meds to control my ulcer forevermore!

Yeah, it's gross to think about, but basically when you lay down, your stomach acid backs up your throat and seeps down your windpipe, which irritates the lungs. Ick.

Also, ideally, you may be able to get off the GERD meds when you get down to your target weight (less pressure on the abdomen).
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Fellow asthmatic here!

I've been on every asthma med (have a rainbow of inhalers - red, yellow, blue, purple, grey, and orange!) and found that one singulair pill a day does the trick for me. I have not had an ER visit (complete with adrenaline shots) in over 2 years - hoo ya! I use my albuterol MAYBE once every two weeks. I tried going off my singulair and the asthma came back (not in full force, but I could feel it clawing its way up so I shut it down and went back on singulair.)

I hate being reliant on meds, but taking one pill (versus inhalers - I hate inhalers - and steriods) is doable for me, very doable.

I just went in for allergy testing because I notice that when I eat corn, my chest gets tight. Can't do popcorn and corn chips very much. Waiting for results.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Molly, I NEED a doctor who insists on allergy testing me to try to get to the root of the problem. I feel like they throw scripts my way instead of trying to find a life solution. I'm thinking I will be put back on singulair or advair or both. We'll see, I'm supposed to go to the walk in clinic tomorrow.
  • You're not alone. I have asthma (sp) but I don't take meds or use an inhaler. I cannot run because I end up absolutely gasping for breath after about 15 - 20 seconds. I'm interested in learning how I can make my asthma/breathing more controllable when I exercise.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    My youngest has asthma also.... because he was born premature and has bronchial pulminary dysplaysia.... so i feel for you ...
    he is on singulair, flovent. and ventolin... plus he also has a nebuliser for when the rescue inhailer doesnt work....

Im sorry it sucks so much to be asthmatic.. and i hope you are feeling better soon... :flowerforyou:
  • anony999
    Molly, I NEED a doctor who insists on allergy testing me to try to get to the root of the problem. I feel like they throw scripts my way instead of trying to find a life solution. I'm thinking I will be put back on singulair or advair or both. We'll see, I'm supposed to go to the walk in clinic tomorrow.

Not sure what your health coverage or money situation is (not trying to pry), but if all else fails, you may want to consider looking up allergists/immunologists in the local area, then calling around and explaining your situation (if your insurance wouldn't cover it, ask for a discounted rate if at all possible - most places will try to be understanding).

Definitely worth getting the scratch test done, consider Molly's example above... corn is a tough thing to isolate, it is VERY common.