Working Out Alone

Options
Who here hates to work out in front of people? I have the DVDs and stuff but I hate to have people watching me work out. So I don't ever start. Does anyone here have that phobia?

Replies

• TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Who here hates to work out in front of people? I have the DVDs and stuff but I hate to have people watching me work out. So I don't ever start. Does anyone here have that phobia?
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    I do! I can't even begin to count the times I have skipped a workout because people were watching me. It can get so distracting.
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It was a hard thing for me to go into a fitness club the first time. honestly everyone there is there for the same reason as you so why would they mess with you? people pretty much only talk with who came with them, their trainer, or are you done kind of stuff. and i do the same thing myself. i walk in and i think about my goals and my routine for the day not what anyone else looks like or why they are there.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Unless you go to a club that's more like a single's club, then I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone there is thinking about their own pain. :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The only time I notice someone 'watching' me is if I'm looking at them. I promise, no one is that interested in your workout that they're going to monitor your every move.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I dont even like to work out at home because the kids or my husband are all just hanging out, watching me.
  • chickadee10
    Options
    Yeah, I don't like working out it front of people. So I made up my own routine thing and am doing it at home.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have a no watching rule- either you get off your @ss and participate, or find something else to do somewhere else in the house.

Same rule applies for cleaning :) You should see them scatter!
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I dont even like to work out at home because the kids or my husband are all just hanging out, watching me.

I totally hear you on that...I just finished doing my workout this morning and I know the kids are just trying to do the same things as me, but I have them both behind me copying everything I'm doing and it totally messes up your concentration.

I try to sneak down to the basement when everyone is preoccupied with their own thing.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I hate when My hubby would sit there and watch but I wake up early and either run outside or do a tape before they wake up. My kids they have their own set of 1 pound weights and work out with me all the time. I still would rather work out before everyone wakes up though!!

Alisha
  • heartbrake
    Options
    sometimes it's annoying, but you probably look better than most of the people in there anyway! :)
  • kristineh86
    Options
    I hate it too but I just try to think to myself that they are probably feeling the same way. We all go to the gym for the same reason, to work out! I just have to get over the fact that people might be watching me! I always feel like I get sweatier than everyone else but whatever!! That just means I worked out harder than them ;) Well...maybe!
  • Destined
    Destined Posts: 116
    Options
    I have my 20 month old grabbing my legs to stop me from working out. It is so annoying. I am like honey please come get her and my husband takes his dear time to come and grab the baby. Probably I need to wake up before everybody else does.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I've never been afraid to work out in front of people - except maybe gym class in middle school!

I like the gym because essentially there are all strangers there. They don't care that my hair is a mess, my t shirt is too big, and I am all sorts of sweaty. They are too busy watching those handy little TVs on the front of their treadmills.

I do occasionally get annoyed at the men checking out the women. They mostly ignore me, but I think it is rude! That is as far as it goes for me though. If someone really wants to watch me work out, then enjoy the show! I'll be there for about 30 to 45 minutes 5 times a week!

I look at it this way. Yeah, I am fat and out of shape. That is why I am at the gym. So if they are judging me then they should check back in six months later. If I let feeling uncomfortable scare me away, then I am only hurting myself. Those boys in the gym certainly won't notice I am gone! I don't know them, so who cares?

It is ok to feel self concious or even scared, but don't let them stop you from taking care of yourself. Close the door and work out kids/husband free. When you feel a little more comfortable, crack the door open. Take baby steps and in no time you will be jogging down the interstate without a care in the world (Ok, don't do that! :laugh: ) But seriously, you will be in the gym in no time. Keep it up though!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    The only time I notice someone 'watching' me is if I'm looking at them. I promise, no one is that interested in your workout that they're going to monitor your every move.
    gotta definitely agree here with SBS!:wink:

If I'm busy doing my own thing I have no clue if anyone is watching...frankly I'm so focused on what machines I have left to do it's more about me and finishing my workout and not missing the machines I want to do that day.

I agree...the only time I see someone looking at me is if I'm staring into space and look over at them....:laugh: They may be doing the very same thing I am...simply staring into space or looking away from all the TV's....while working out.:wink:

I say go for it...challenge yourself and push through the fear....when I find myself looking at someone, be a larger person or smaller...it's because I recognize them from a class or see them often at the gym. I have NEVER EVER thought badly of anyone while they were working out. Only things like 'WOW'....she's really great at getting in her workouts! or that is SO awesome that woman comes in everyday and keeps at...she'll definitely be succesful with her goals..

Seriously it's the only thoughts I've had when looking around the room....:bigsmile:

Like Shannon suggested unless you are going to some place like more a singles place....I give Gold's gym as example..:noway: :laugh: as I've heard stories but..hey that's one gym in particular among many.

You can sure learn ALOT from others at the gym....don't ever be afraid to ask for help from another member....I love it when I can help new folks or they ask me how long I workout each day...or various things...

Take care guys....I wish you all the best!:drinker:

FC:heart:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't like that--I had a roommate who would watch me do exercise DVDs at home. I don't have any problems/hangups working out at the gym though. :laugh:
  • gis35
    gis35 Posts: 54
    Options
    i also hate to have people loooking at me when i'm working out, i lock the door and all the widows to ensure that no one sees me, i guess i'm self concious about all the jiggles. i always hated going to the gym, so working out at home solves my problem:laugh:
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    OMG....it's like you read my mind.....I got a bike for christmas and i'm even feeling weird going to the park to ride! I haven't ridden a bike in probably 10 years so I look like a 5 year old who just started riding :indifferent:
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oops, I missed the quote button. :embarassed:
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a no watching rule- either you get off your @ss and participate, or find something else to do somewhere else in the house.

Same rule applies for cleaning :) You should see them scatter!
    What a great idea! :laugh: