Biking-rules of the road??

Options
I want to start riding my bike to school and to work, but I have no idea about the proper rules for bicyclists riding on major roadways. I would have to go on a parkway to get from my apartment to school, and I want to do it safely. Any bicyclists out there who can give me some tips?? Before this, I've only ever rode in small neighborhoods or on the rail trail
Thanks!

Replies

• cfrock
    cfrock Posts: 37
    Options
    I have the same question!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    bike with traffic
    stay in bike lanes
    point with your left hand to turn left or bend the arm and point up to turn right
    follow the rules of the road
    stay as far to the side as possible without losing balance so others can pass you.
  • Sarahmt29
    Options
    You basically are supposed to follow the same rules as a car. Stay to the side of the road unless you need to make a turn. Use arm signals to signify which way you are turning. Enjoy! Biking burns a lot of calories!!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I have a few tips. Not sure they are rules:

1) Be bright and flashy. Both in clothing and in head and tail lights.
    2) Follow the rules of the road as if you were driving. Right side of the road, follow signs, etc.
    3) Signal your intent to turn. Not with outdated car hand signals. Just point to the left or right. Signaling a right turn in the traditional way only looks like you're waving at traffic.
    4) MAKE EYE CONTACT with a vehicle's driver if your paths might be converging (e.g. you're going straight, he is turning right at the same intersection as you approach him). If you don't make eye contact, stop and wait until he goes.