Question for the vegetarians/vegans

Options
Hi All

I am wondering if any vegetarians have had this same issue and what have they done to fix it?

I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and have had weight issues for about 15. Like many I eat out of boredom and emotional triggers. I also dont do enough exercise ( but that is changing - 3 days in a row -minimum 1 hour each day of cardio)

I became a vegetarian because I never cared for meat not due to any reasons from doctors or religion. I do not miss meat but I know I need more protein.

I am shocked at myself at how easy it has been to go up and down with my weight. I thought "I dont eat meat or fast food, I eat veges & fruit, I dont smoke or do drugs, I drink a couple of glasses of red wine once a month, I can manage this." Clearly I am wrong. I have realized one my issues is boredom of my food choices. ( the other is portion control which I am learning to manage)

I am a foodie! I like ethnic cuisine, I like different sauces, spices etc ( Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Italian)

My question for the veg group is what food choices are you making so that you feel full and not bored of eating the same things all the time? I can cook but I cant spend hours making the dishes that look good on tv but take too long to make.

I could really use some breakfast suggestions. I dont eat eggs and I am allergic to milk, almonds and peanuts. ( Yeah, its a pain). I eat cereal, make a tofu scramble, a protein bar but once I get bored of those I skip breakfast which then means I eat too much for lunch and dinner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of meat.

I do a variety of salads, the base is similar most of the times but the sauces and flavours change from goat's cheese to apples for instance.
    I love to mix a lot of different vegetables on the steamer and cover them with brown sauce.
    I love most fruits.
    I like to mix normal baked beans with green beans for instance.
    I'll eat most cereals, there's so many varieties that is hard to get sick of them all.
    Vegetable Curries, Vegetable Stir Fries w/ Noodles or without.
    Soups (Mushroom, Broccoli, Carrot, Leek & Potato, Mixed Vegetables, etc)

There are really so many options that are easy to cook that is very hard to name them all.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    One thing I've been eating a lot of is greek yogurt mixed with different flavors. When you get the plain kind, it tastes like sour cream (to me) so I use it as a condiment a lot. My latest obsession is multigrain sandwich thins (just a lower cal bread) with sliced cucumber and "spicy mayo," which is greek yogurt + sriracha. It reminds me of the spicy mayo on sushi, and has a lot more protein and no fat. I usually put a fried egg white in it for added protein but you don't eat egg, so maybe tofu instead as the "meat" of the sandwich.

I am not a vegetarian but I am finding more and more tasty meals without meat, and liking them just as much if not more than when I have meat in them.

I also have been eating the flat out wraps ( I like the light sundried tomato wrap) and filling it with sabra red pepper hummus, bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, onions, and feta cheese. It is VERY filling and sooo tasty!

Steel cut oats are also a must. WIth cinnamon and apples, or even with veggies and garlic as a savory meal instead of sweet.

Recently I made whole wheat angel hair pasta with a white wine, caper, and lemon sauce mixed with artichokes, tomatoes, onion, and squash. It was very good.

Hope some of those help!
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you need a quick idea for breakfast I have been making a fruit smoothie with protein powder in it. I just buy a frozen bag of organic berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, and blackberry are currently in my freezer), add a half of a banana for creaminess, some water, and soy protein powder. It really fills me up and acts as a meal, but is also quick to make and easy to take with you.
  • kenneyhl
    Options
    smoothies! I make my son a smoothie of Hemp milk and papaya every morning (along with other ingredients for him to gain weight) When i was pregnant i used to love berry smoothies with tofu added into it but my son is allergic to soy (ammong other things) so i dont keep it in the house anymore. Or grab a bag of hemp seeds and throw them in some coconut yougurt and anything else you can!
  • agent210
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.. I really appreciate them.. Please keep them coming if others have some...:smile::smile: