Sugar...

Options
How in the world can I keep under the goal I have for sugar? I don't eat that many sweet, but the OJ and the fruit are killing me! I am consistently over for sugar, but I know that I am not eating all that much that would be "refined". Any ideas?

Replies

• Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    How attached are you to that OJ? You would be way better off enjoying an orange then drinking juice.
  • JuliePete
    Options
    How attached are you to that OJ? You would be way better off enjoying an orange then drinking juice.

Since It is one of the few things I get to down in the morning with 2 little ones 2 & under, it is fairly needed. :ohwell:
  • rhawkins26
    Options
    I agree... Juice is mostly calories without any added benefit like fibre. Maybe try a protein drink instead? VHP for example is a complete breakfast replacement...
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Juice can kill your sugar allowance. Suggestions are greek yogurt, granola bar, grapes or a banana. They are not as hight in sugar and they are fairly portable even with little ones. However, if you are a juice junkie and attached to juice, I would dilute it. Drink half the normal amount and mix it with water.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Most OJ's are huge culprits on the sugar front!!! Check the composition of your OJ and make sure there's no added sugars and sweeteners.
    Even 100% Natural juice will be pretty high on sugars thoug so be wary of what you drink.
  • JuliePete
    Options
    Most OJ's are huge culprits on the sugar front!!! Check the composition of your OJ and make sure there's no added sugars and sweeteners.
    Even 100% Natural juice will be pretty high on sugars thoug so be wary of what you drink.

Do you have any suggestions as to which juices would be better? I have always been an OJ lover, so it is one of the few things that I have a hard time getting rid of, especially since it helps to level out blood sugar if I don't get anything else until later in the morning.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Well, I lick about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter off a spoon for breakfast. It's my attempt to get in some protein in a quick way while the kids run circles around my ankles. I also like circle K cereal because it has some protein in it too.

If you want to open your diary maybe we can find something else to look at though. We don't want you to feel deprived - you have to want this change.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    I'm not a real big fan of diet drink but maybe crystal light has an orange or lemonade that would give you your morning citrus hit. Or even some fresh citrus squeezed in your water like the restaurants do?
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A co-worker challenged me once to consider how many oranges would need to be juiced to actually get one glass, even an 8 oz glass, of juice. That was my eye-opener. I realized that, even though I thought I was being healthy, I was actually overeating/over-indulging in fruit, and although it is natural sugar, it is still sugar. I quit drinking juice then and there. Water is my go to beverage of choice.

Good luck!
  • DoriLuke
    DoriLuke Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I gave up fruit and fruit juice because of the "hidden" sugar. I know I still get some in the veggies I eat but I'm okay with that. I went from drinking multiple diet sodas, tea, , and fruit juice to only water, cold turkey. I still indulge in coffee when I get into the office, but realized I am taking about 3 sips and letting it sit until I pour it out late in the day. Now that I keep bottles of water rotating in the freezer, I have started to enjoy the water, and sometimes with a squeeze of lime. Good luck!