Ankle /wrist weights

Options
Has anyone use ankle or wrist weights? my best friend and I came up with the idea to wear ankle weights at work , and since we are on our feet all day, we thought we could get somewhat of a workout while we work, building muscle tone hopefully! Has anyone tried this and did you notice any changes? I wonder also if it makes me burn more calories while we walk around our store. any idea?

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I used to use light ankle weights while doing aerobics and taking walks. I did it for years, and it really helped define my calves and cinch my waistline (note: I did a lot of jumping, high-knee raising aerobics). However, I did eventually strain a tendon and had to wear an ankle-support sock. Be careful, and make sure you get good blood flow.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I walk to work 2.19 miles I'm a bartender, on my feel all day then I walk home from work up hill ( I live in Seattle and this is a real steep hill) I wore ankle weights and I was seriously suffering, my knee hurt so bad and my joints. I was miserable. I eliminated the ankle weights, I still walk a lot and am on my feet all day long, I don't even sit to eat my lunch.I feel much better, occasional knee pain, but I am getting kind of old too..
    ankle weights definitely were no good for me.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on the subject by any means, but I hear that ankle weights can cause injury, and that you are better off trying a weighted vest. Of course, that would look awful at work.

I would just wait until after work and do your strength training then. Lift some dumbbells and do some squats and lunges the old fashioned way.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use weighted gloves for kickboxing since wrist weights slide up and down my arms. As far as wearing them all the time, I've heard it can be damaging to your tendons (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ankle-weights/an01867).