salad bar

Options
I love salad bars. They are quick and easy for lunch and I can eat a heap of veggies all at once.

That being said, how on earth do I track that? I am not good at guessing portions, and it's not like I can weigh it or bust out with measuring cups.

I love the variety and to get all the toppings for home would be overwhelming.

I know I am adding fatty foods to it, like bacon, eggs, sunflower seeds, cheese, dressing, etc. I don't mind that I'm adding that onto all my veggies, but I just want to know how I can track it a little easier so I know what else I can eat that day.

Replies

• boffo
    boffo Posts: 22
    Options
    I figured out a typical plate for me once... came to about 350 calories per plate. I've been using that since. This included liberal croutons and sunflower seeds, fat free creamy ital dressing and garbonzos... the best answer for you i guess is to really analyze a plate of yours and see... pain in the rear, but its gotta be done.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Becareful adding too much cheese or dressing; they add up quickly.

http://education.wichita.edu/caduceus/examples/servings/handy_reminders.htm
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    i agree with boffo. break down one time and get what you would eat at a salad bar at home and measure it out at home and make one close to that at the salad bar. I know it seems like a pain but at least you would be closer than just guessing
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I added up all the stuff I add to it, and I am glad I did. I was over estimating the number of calories I was eating. I had guessed it at 800, but once I added it up, it was more like 500. Apparently you can get a huge volume of food when there is lettuce, snow peas, cucumbers, carrots, and tomatoes involved.

I also added in the turkey, eggs, bacon, cheese, dressing and sunflower seeds. Those are a lot more calorie dense, but they still didn't add up to as much as I thought.

I estimated that I had 1/4 cup of each ingredient, unless I was sure how many I had. For example, I know I always put 5 grape tomatoes on, and three slices of cucumber. However, for the meats and cheese, etc, I guessed at 1/4 cup. I guessed that my lettuce was 2 cups.

I felt hugely full when I was done eating that salad, and I am relieved to find that it isn't as bad as I thought... even with all those tasty toppings!