Problems with Polar FT4!!!

Options

Replies

• pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I had these problems with mine and was so upset since it was brand new. Since we are overseas, the website was saying I wasn't covered under warranty. I replaced the battery in the chest strap and all seems good now. Hopefully this continues! Otherwise, they are getting a very angry phone call.

Hmm, I didn't look into battery life. But I've only had this thing a few months. I don't think we should have to replace the battery so soon considering how much this HRM costs!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I"m sorry you're having problems.

I would like to point out that you don't have to pay a lot for an HRM. The only function you really need is Average Heart Rate (AHR). The only thing that fancy HRMs do that inexpensive ones don't is perform mathematical calculations. You don't need to pay for that; you can plug your numbers into a formula by yourself. No HRM can guarantee accuracy. They all ESTIMATE.

Here is one (of many) online formulas for estimating calories burned (just complete the top 6 lines):

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

blessings.
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    SleepyTexan - thank you so much for the link. I have been watching a few Polar FT4's on eBay when all I really wanted was this calculation. I'm not going to pay that much money when I can figure it out on my own and get a pretty good estimate.

Thanks again !
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you're welcome -- I do want to clarify you need SOME kind of HRM to get your AHR, it just doesn't have to be an expensive one.

Assuming you use a basic model; Make sure you start it JUST AS YOU BEGIN your exercise, and check it immediately after.
    Don't allow your resting and recovering heart rate into the average by putting it on too soon or leaving it on too long after the exercise, or you will get a lower (inaccurate) average.

blessings.
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Oh boy! I JUST bought one of these 1 hour ago! It cost a pretty penny (Canada always charges way more). I'll be pretty cranky if I have these issues!

Me too just purchased one and it is being shipped today, we can be cranky together, but hopefully it wont happen to us... :sad:
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me. I can assure you, my heart rate is NOT above 215. I'll try the scalding water rinse and see if that helps. Otherwise, I will be sending it in for repair. :|
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i have a polar ft4, and when that happens, all i've had to do was readjust the strap to a smaller size. usually it has loosened up during the workout, and tightening it back up fixes that for me. good luck!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    i have a polar ft4, and when that happens, all i've had to do was readjust the strap to a smaller size. usually it has loosened up during the workout, and tightening it back up fixes that for me. good luck!
    I'll try this too. Thanks!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I'll try this too. Thanks!

hope it works! i'll have my one year anniversary with my ft4 on 12/29, and i'm going to post up the total number of minutes i've put on it. it's a lot. i'm proud. :bigsmile:
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4.......had for a few weeks. Want to keep this under my topics for future reference should i have problems.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I've only had mine for 2 weeks and no problems so far. good luck!!!! :)
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Well I got it back from being "repaired" and it lasted fine.. for about 3 weeks, then the same problem! I sent it BACK for another repair last week and demanded the replace the whole thing.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Having same issues!! I've only had it 6 months. Grrrr...
  • honeybadger175
    honeybadger175 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Very informative! Posting to read more future resposes since I'm currently in the market for one.
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Damn it, just bought one yesterday! Hope I don't have a similar problem. I am posting this for future reference (hopefully I don't need it!) Thanks!
  • kaybrose730
    kaybrose730 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm having this same issue..
  • Stephanie2167
    Options
    Check the battery. I'm researching them and have seen lots of people say that you need to change the battery if you start getting funny readings.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I changed the battery in both the watch and the chest strap transmitter and still this morning it was fine for 10 minutes of workout and then said that my HR was 220 when I was stretching. Then it was 00. This has been happening for a week before I changed the batteries. I am ready to buy another one because this is starting to effect my workouts...ugh!