Options

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You're wrong...

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/get+a+word+in+edgewise

get a word in edgewise
    to find an opportunity to say something. Harold talked so much that nobody else could get a word in edgewise.

It is a UK vs. American difference...

http://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Idioms/G/get_a_word_in_edgeways_edgewise_67.htm

get a word in edgeways | edgewise
    Meaning: If you can't get a word in edgeways, you can't say anything because someone else is talking so much.
    For example:
    •Cindy got so excited when she was talking that nobody else could get a word in edgeways.
    •I'd go to the meetings more often if I could get a word in edgeways.
    Note: The American form of this idiom is "to get a word in edgewise".
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Man this thread is so busy I'm having trouble getting a word in edgewise! Whatever, I could care less.
    ;)
    No but seriously, I get ya. It really bugs me when people use sayings that they don't even know.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If you stick a wedge into a log and hit it with a hammer, you can often split the log that way....
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Is there also no such thing as crosswise?

Oh wait, yes there is!

cross·wise (krôswz, krs-)
    adv. also cross·ways (-wz)
    So as to be or lie in a cross direction; across: placed the kindling crosswise to the rest of the wood.
    adj.
    Crossing: a crosswise piece.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    And while I'm at it, it's "I couldn't care less".

This one bothers me more.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    piece, peace, peas

who knew?
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    OK...I'm going to sound anal here but I can't stand when people say "All the sudden"! It is "All of a sudden". WTF is all the sudden?????

Rant over :blushing:
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Literally? Or figuratively?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    When my boss ends a conversation with Okie Dokie you know he's distracted and didn't listen to you anyway! He admits it and we all laugh at it!
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    How about - irregardless is NOT a word.

I worked with a girl that said "pacific" instead of the word "specific". And she said it A LOT! *facepalm*
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    I could care less, but not much.
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority of the hatred in this thread. I've never heard anyone say 'a word in edgewise', then again I am from the UK. People not understanding the difference between 'then' and 'than' seriously piss me off, though. Also it's 'awesome', not 'awsome'.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    well "irregardless", i'll say what i want...

*facepalm.

more non-words:
    "conversate"
    "borned"
    "y'all" <- natural born/bred Texan and I NEVER use this!!!!!

incorrect uses of words that are far too common: "i'm fixin' to" "i'm gonna" "should of/could of/would of" etc....

i'll think of more as the day progresses i'm sure. ugh. i need a xanax from all the grammatical errors.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    lol =) One that annoys me is "At the end of the day". So overused.

LOL I catch myself saying this one...or "Not for nothing but..."

And lately I say "##% of the time," and apparently everything is at 85%...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

I worked with a girl that said "pacific" instead of the word "specific". And she said it A LOT! *facepalm*

Irregardless drives me INSANE, and I also know people who use "pacific" I always want to say "as opposed to Atlantic?"...ugh!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

Irregardless drives me INSANE, and I also know people who use "pacific" I always want to say "as opposed to Atlantic?"...ugh!

Irregardless of whether you define this as a real word. It is. look it up. I use it all the time.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    "Y'all" is a totally legitimate contraction of two totally legitimate words: "you" and "all." The only thing that bothers me about it is when people spell it "ya'll."
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Irregardless of whether you define this as a real word. It is. look it up. I use it all the time.

It may be a "real word", but its grammatically incorrect to use it. The “irr” negates the “less”, which technically changes the meaning to “with regard”.

Plus, people sound completely uneducated when they use it.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Oh man, if I hear one more person say "a word in edgewise" I'm going to freak out.

The saying is "A word in edgeways", as in: the person was talking so much, that if you could literally see the words coming out of there mouth, there would be so many, that you couldn't fit one word in if you turned it on it's edge.

And while I'm at it, it's "I couldn't care less".

Their vs. There is also a common problem....including in this post.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    loose and lose....say it out loud before you type it.... :huh: