Opinions please - New healthy restaurant menu creation!

Options
2»

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea. I am including a link to a recipe that I made with a few revisions (like regular chicken instead of ground for one) that I thought could be worked into a restaurant entree.
    http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/featured-brands/chicken-spaghetti-bolognese.aspx
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Italian doesn't have to mean pasta entrees, you can do entrees with proteins and ratatouille and a small side of pasta or risotto. Look at Mediterranean diet, I think it focuses on fish and fresh veggies. Also, all the old breaded favorites are just as good baked or grilled without the breading and frying. With cheese topped meals, they’re just as good and gooey with half the cheese, just slice the cheese thinner. Squashes and zucchinis make awesome pasta replacements (including spaghetti squash). You can also offer half sizes for 60% - 75% of the price (win/win). Apps: muscles in a white wine sauce (not creamy) served with something other than big thick bread, or look at lower calorie bread options.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    BTW, for lasagne, I use a mandolin to slice squash and zuchinni lengthwise and use that instead of noodles, I also half my ricotta with low fat cottage cheese and increase my herbs. this would sort of work for "manacotti" too, you can maybe use egg plant to do a roll up instead.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Sorry, I keep posting. If I want a "creamy" dish, I finish it with low fat yogurt instead of sour cream or heavy cream, it also adds a tang that neither of the other two do giving it an interesting flavor profile.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Bit of a challenge here, but if you could do a menu with the antipasti, primi and secondi totalling under 500 calories (small portions, natch) I'd be beating down your door!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Tortillini - perhaps filled with spinach, etc instead of cheese and with a lighter sauce?

Pizza - thin crust, more veggies, less cheese, etc

More tomatoes in sauce, cut back on sodium

Whole wheat pasta

Lots more veggies to bulk up foods - so much lower in calories and can steam or bake instead of pan fry...that alone would help

Eggplant parmesan (instead of chicken)

Use GOOD ingredients - good cheese will go a lot further than cheap for less used

Good luck on your endeavors!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    substitute greek yogurt in some recipes and make low cal versions. I just make Cooking Light Mac and Cheese and it was delicious. I added a few slices of chicken with apple and mango sausage. Add a steamed veg w./a sprinkle of parmesan to that at it is about 500ish. You could have a choice of a meat dish like salmon, shrimp or chicken with the pasta as a side item. You can make a great pizza under 500 easy. Good luck. Love the idea.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Please offer dairy-free options, too. :)

Lots of fresh veggies, smaller portions, really great minestrone!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It would definately be carbonara for me.

I absolutely love it, but because I know its full of cream and cheese, I avoid it all together.
    Spaghetti Carbonara should not have any cream and the cheese is optional.

A friend of mine from Lodi taught me how to make real Carbonara:

Cook some spaghetti or linguini
    Fry lardons or prosciutto in their own fat or with only a splash of olive oil (less than 1/4tbsp)
    Once cooked, drain spaghetti, return to pan, add bacon and break 2 eggs over it.
    Stir vigourously so that the egg scrambles and cooks on the spaghetti.
    Serve with almost a crust of ground black pepper (i.e. the carbon of carbonara)
    add a little grated gran pandano/parmiggiano if desired.

It's one of my favouite simple recipies :tongue:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I adore Italian cooking and for me it's one of the healthiest diets you can follow (as with most mediterranen cooking).

The main thing to remember is portion size. OK at a restaurant that might not alwwys work, but having the option of a half-portion or kiddie size would be fantastic. Most folk would be happy to get 10% off a set menu price if offered a smaller portion to enjoy.

Olive oil is calorific, but it's not sat fat like lard and ghee.

The dishes which are tomato-based are usually quite a bit lighter than the creamy ones.

Ravioli's filled with smoked salmon and a warm tomato and herb salsa would be nice and light.

A small, crustless pizza with tomato, vegetables, olives and the option of a bit of grated parmiggiano.

There is so much to choose from and it's packed full of delicious wholesome ingredients :tongue:

And of course, if you are eating out... always plan it into your daily food diary and have lighter brekkie and lunch so that you can enjoy a nice glass of wine or small bottle or Peronni :drinker:
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    The best Italian place in my town does this delicious stewed rabbit with polenta. I haven't had it since I started MFP so I don't know how many calories were in it, but it's pretty good. They also do tuna Milanese rather badly, but I like the idea of it.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies guys... there's certainly plenty to go at!

Well done on the carbonara recipe - that's precisely how we do it ;) and it's the 'real' way (OH is Italian and trained as a chef in Italy).

I'm aiming to make all meals on this menu under 500 calories and so far have come up with (remember this is a la carte as opposed to your more day-to-day pizza/pasta dishes):

Steamed saffron cod loin

Cod loin steamed with mixed seafood and lemon, served with a fresh white wine, saffron, tomato and chilli broth

8oz cod loin = 184 calories, 0g fat
    4oz mixed seafood = 60 calories, 1g fat
    100g chopped tomatoes = 17 calories, 0g fat
    30ml white wine = 22cal, 0g fat
    30g red chilli = 16 calories, 0g fat
    Lemon wedge = 0 calories, 0g fat
    Saffron = 0 calories, 0g fat

Total = 300 calories, 1g fat

Wild rice

150g (cooked) wild rice = 166 calories, 5g fat

Pollo pesto Genovese

Grilled chicken breast topped with chopped sunblushed tomatoes and drizzled with fresh homemade basil pesto and a wedge of lemon

6oz grilled chicken breast = 300 calories, 3g fat
    30g green pesto = 95 calories, 8g fat
    2 sunblushed tomatoes = 5 calories, 0g fat
    Lemon wedge = 1 calorie, 0g fat

Total = 401 calories, 11g fat

Melanzane e ricotta

Grilled aubergine stuffed with ricotta cheese, spinach and roasted red pepper and baked in the oven in a tomato sauce

2 slices (lengthways) grilled aubergine = 80 calories, 7g fat
    50g ricotta cheese = 135 calories, 11g fat
    100g spinach = 23 calories, 0g fat
    2 strips roasted red pepper (around 2oz) = 10 calories, 0g fat
    150g Napolitana sauce = 55 calories, 1g fat
    1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese = 22 calories, 1g fat

Total = 325 calories, 20g fat

Bistecca Tagliata

Seared sirloin steak, served on a bed of rocket and parmesan salad, drizzled with balsamic syrup

200g sirloin steak = 280 calories, 6g fat
    50g rocket = 7 calories, 0g fat
    10g parmesan shavings = 40 calories, 3g fat
    1 tbsp balsamic syrup = 25 calories, 2g fat
    Lemon wedge = 1 calorie, 0g fat

Total = 353 calories, 11g fat

Fish ‘n’ Chips Italiano

Salt and pepper breadcrumb crusted cod loin, served with crushed basil peas, roasted baby potatoes and a tomato picante dipping sauce

8oz cod loin = 184 calories, 0g fat
    Crushed mixed peppercorns = 0 calories, 0g fat
    Sea salt = 0 calories, 0g fat
    30g Breadcrumbs = 118 calories, 1g fat
    Squeeze lemon juice = 0 calories, 0g fat
    1tsp olive oil = 40 calories, 5g fat
    Garden peas = 55 calories, 0g fat
    Chopped basil = 1 calorie, 0g fat
    2tbsp tomato picante sauce = 30 calories, 1g fat
    Roasted baby potatoes (portion) = 180 calories, 3g fat

Total = 608 calories, 10g fat

‘Lighter’ Lasagne

This lighter, oven-baked crepe lasagne still retains the richness of traditional Italian Bolognese, without the pasta or béchamel used in the traditional version.

1 savoury pancake = 86 calories, 0g fat
    Bolognese sauce = 180 calories, 11g fat
    30g grated mozzarella cheese = 90 calories, 6g fat
    150g Napolitana sauce = 55 calories, 1g fat

Total = 411 calories, 18g fat

Tonno con Salsa Verde

Pan seared tuna steak served with a refreshing salsa Verde of capers, anchovies, lemon, olive oil and parsley.

8oz Tuna steak = 248 calories, 2g fat
    1tbsp Salsa Verde = 50 calories, 0g fat

Total = 298 calories, 2g fat

Also plan to offer boiled as well as roasted potatoes on the whole menu and wholewheat pasta with any of our existing pasta dishes :)

Do let me know what you think - I really do appreciate the MFP input guys! :)