Going to the store in a few days!

Options
I'm new to eating healthy. Well, for the most part.

I'm not going to buy ANY pop! Please, applaud for this because I am very close with my diet dr. pepper!

What I'd like some input on is, when you're on a monthly budget of $300 - for 2 people (for groceries) HOW on earth do you eat healthy? I've already cut out almost every kind of meat except for a steak every once in a while, or spaghetti. My freezer is always boneless skinless chicken breasts. I stock up on frozen veggies because not only are they inexpensive but more healthier than canned veggies. Other than that, with how expensive milk is, eggs, etc...I don't ever have the money leftover for actual meals. Towards the middle of the month it's bologna sandwiches for lunch, and roasted chicken & veggies for dinner.

Any advice? I do shop at Aldi for my fresh veggies - like bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, red potatoes, and also my fruits. I just don't know how to keep it all up throughout the whole month. Should I stop buying milk? It makes me ill, but not my fiance.

Throw some ideas my way!

Replies

• purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is cook up a huge pan of something (like bolognaise or curry) and then portion them up and freeze them and then when I can't be bothered to cook anything or have run out of ingredients or money then I'll open up the freezer and all I've got to do is reheat it :smile:
    One other tip though is to make sure you label what they are! I have on a number of occasions looked forward to having something for dinner which turned out to be something else! lol :laugh:
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Is there any other area of your life where you can make sacrifices so you have more money towards food? quit smoking, economise on transport, phone contracts, tv/sky contracts e.t.c.
    Buy in Bulk at the cheapest stores.
    Part-time job if possible?
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    buy things such as grains, beans,nuts and seed in bulk, they go far and are cheap!!
  • twizzzie
    twizzzie Posts: 11
    Options
    Is there any other area of your life where you can make sacrifices so you have more money towards food? quit smoking, economise on transport, phone contracts, tv/sky contracts e.t.c.
    Buy in Bulk at the cheapest stores.
    Part-time job if possible?

Nope! I've cut out anything and everything I can...and I've applied at over 150 jobs here, including McDonald's (which was a last resort) and absolutely no-one is hiring! :(
  • twizzzie
    Options
    What I like to do is cook up a huge pan of something (like bolognaise or curry) and then portion them up and freeze them and then when I can't be bothered to cook anything or have run out of ingredients or money then I'll open up the freezer and all I've got to do is reheat it :smile:
    One other tip though is to make sure you label what they are! I have on a number of occasions looked forward to having something for dinner which turned out to be something else! lol :laugh:

I was thinking I should make a menu! My fiance and I love the roasted chicken and veggies - but I don't want to get bored :tongue:
    So I'll make a menu tomorrow - probably on notepad because it's much easier than pen and paper.

I think that making a large portion and separating it into smaller portions and freezing it is a wonderful idea. I could do that with pretty much ANYTHING, right? I'd think so... Hmm. Experiment!

Thank ya :)
  • twizzzie
    Options
    buy things such as grains, beans,nuts and seed in bulk, they go far and are cheap!!

I'll write that down onto my list. I'm not used to any of those things, but I can deal!