stationary bikes: recumbent vs upright-tangible pros n cons?

Options
Huffdogg
Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
A stationary bike is one of the more compact pieces of cardio equipment I can get my hands on, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are tangible FITNESS benefits of recumbent vs upright models. Does the change of positioning angle have any major effect on the type of workout you get from the machine? I am not a cyclist; haven't been able to pull the pin on a nice road bike yet, tho I'm interested in doing so and may eventually get one. I do know it's great cardio and lower body workout, though.

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go to the gym and see which one suits you more!!! I find the spin bikes very comfortable, but the more straight forward exercise bikes uncomfortable, and I feel awkward on the recumbant bike! So for me it would be a spin bike! (feel I have more options with my workout as well, as I can stand and hill climb on the spin bike)
    So I think it would come down to personal choice!!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i also love the spin bike more than the other ones. They are alot easier to get a more comfortable position in.

and i also find it easy to get a interval training going on on a spin bike, i can get my heart rate up to 170 if i really kick it, and you can use it for interval training making the heart rate go up and down between 130-170 (in my case). i think you get a heaps better workout on a spin bike if you push yourself. and when you get a sore bum, you stand up and climb for a while, which you can't do on the other bikes.

i think the spin bikes are alot less maintenance than the recumbant ones, you can't go wrong with them really. you don't actually need the computer to work to get a good workout, especially if you use a heart rate monitor.
  • queenofthemountains
    Options
    My husband instructs spin, and his classes are excellent and very varied, however, when I'm in the gym, I tend to use the recumbent 'pedalo' bike instead, partly because it's a change of position, and partly because being an obsessive who likes to do two things at once, I find it easier to read a book at the same time. It boils down to what works for you - and you maybe need to spend some decent workout time on both to make a decision.

xx
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I think it's like any piece of equipment, you'll get out of it what you put into it.

I have a recumbant bike at home, because a family member gave it to me (it had been gathering dust... this is also how I got a Nordic Track skier! I love giving a loving home to neglected exercise equipment).

As long as I focus and increase the intensity, the recumbant bike gives me a great workout! I love that thing. Plus, I can do reps of upper body strength with dumbells while I pedal sometimes.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer + Used Road bike
    http://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-Kurt-Machine-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B000BNCA0Y

You can ride indoors during bad weather and outside when it's nice. You don't have to buy a 2K road bike. Pick up an entry level road bike on Craigs List for 4-500 and the trainer and you are good to go.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    all very nice suggestions. Unfortunately it would appear that I should have specified that space is at a premium and I don't have access to a gym currently. That might have colored some of the comments lol. However I will take into account everything that everyone has said.

Edit: also, i'm not planning on dropping 8 or 900 bucks on something I'm not certain I'll really get into. If I decide to unload that much cash, I'll buy a nicer rower (a machine I already know I'll use lol).
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Heya Huffdogg. Just wanted to add on to what batlou suggested. If you at all are thinking you MAY get into road biking (down the road, lol), then getting a trainer like a Kinetic and a used road bike would be the best way to go I would think. A stationary bike, whether recumbent style or upright, is going to take up more space than a trainer when not in use. The trainer you could stash in a closet when not in use, and the bike in a garage or leaning against a wall...but gee gosh golly, if it were like any of my bikes, they would be BEGGING you to ride them every time you got near em. :happy: Anyway, good luck with your decision and good health to ya no matter what you decide!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I've looked at all the pictures. I'm generally not a stupid woman. But I can't for the life of me work out how that thing works.... :-) What do you actually *do* with it?
  • broadsword7
    Options

I've looked at all the pictures. I'm generally not a stupid woman. But I can't for the life of me work out how that thing works.... :-) What do you actually *do* with it?

Hi meerkat70. You are definitely NOT stupid!!! To answer your question, that is a bicycle trainer. You take your bicycle and drop the rear wheel in between the stays on the trainer and tighten it up so it doesn't come loose. Then you climb on and pedal. Some people also put their front wheel in a block to prevent it from wobbling and give a more stable platform on which to do a bicycle workout. While it is definitely not like riding outside, it is a great way to "keep in touch" with the bike during winter months when riding outside becomes tougher in cold weather, snow, ice, etc. If your cycling computer is mounted on your rear wheel and crank arms, you can still keep track of your "mileage" since the rear wheel turns and the front does not. Hope that makes sense! Be healthy and happy, always!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh. OK, that makes sense. And that's actually a pretty cool piece of kit. I had no idea such an object existed! (*eyes up the bike in shed that hasn't seen the light of day in a few years.....*)
  • broadsword7
    Options
    Ahhhhhh. OK, that makes sense. And that's actually a pretty cool piece of kit. I had no idea such an object existed! (*eyes up the bike in shed that hasn't seen the light of day in a few years.....*)

Ah, the bike in the shed. I am one of those people who sometimes personifies objects...what is the word...anthropomorphism? My bike speaks to me, and expresses sadness when I do not ride it. I have in the past not listened so much, but as of late, I have been paying much better attention, and finding I am better off for it. If that bike should see the light of day again, may you both enjoy great conversation! :flowerforyou: