My weight won't budge...?

Options
2»

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If possible, have your BMR checked professionally. This will tell you exactly how many calories your body needs, to run itself daily. Add any exercise calories to that number and that's how many calories you need to eat daily. The goal should be to net your BMR calories every day.
    If you can't have your BMR checked professionally, use a calculator to check everything you do in a 24 hour period. Not including exercise. This will give you a more accurate idea of your caloric needs.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    Something else to try is cycling or zigzaggin your calories...alternate b/w higher calorie days and lower calorie days so that your metabolism does not slow down. a website that I use...http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think you are not eating enough. Also, your body is probably used to the routine, so switch it up and try resistant training-it doesn't have to be weight , use your body-squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, burpees.... Good luck!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your ideal weight, the harder it is to lose (but I bet you already know that). :)

Is it possible you're already where you should be weight-wise? How tall are you?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you can provide us basic information we can calculate you caloric needs (age, height and weight). Also, more importantly, you need need need weight training. Running will just decrease your muscle mass over time which makes yoru metabolism slower. Muscle mass increases your metabolism which allows you to eat more. Also, you are definitely not eating enough but once you provide the data, we can figure out how much you should be eating. Also, can you make your diary public so we can evaluate it?
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    If you can provide us basic information we can calculate you caloric needs (age, height and weight). Also, more importantly, you need need need weight training. Running will just decrease your muscle mass over time which makes yoru metabolism slower. Muscle mass increases your metabolism which allows you to eat more. Also, you are definitely not eating enough but once you provide the data, we can figure out how much you should be eating. Also, can you make your diary public so we can evaluate it?

I'm 16 years old (I know that's young to be worrying about your weight in the slightest, but I've always been fascinated with healthy eating and exercising, and I'm not really interested in eating like other teenagers do), 5'9 in height, and 146 pounds. Last year I dropped 15 pounds by healthy eating and exercising, but I completely restricted myself. I went 3 months without even touching a piece of bread. This caused me to gain all the weight back around 6-7 months later, with 5 pounds more. My goal weight right now is 130-135 pounds... The lowest I've ever been is 126, but that was because I barely ate for a short period of time.

And as for my diary, it's not really something I'd like to make public... Atleast not right now. :/
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    The closer you are to your ideal weight, the harder it is to lose (but I bet you already know that). :)

Is it possible you're already where you should be weight-wise? How tall are you?

Unfortunately I do :(
    I don't think I'm where I'm supposed to be - last year I was 130 pounds for a couple of months, which is right where I'd like to be. I'm 5'9.
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    I also forgot to mention, that since I'm only 16, I obviously go to school. I have an unusually loud digestive system, so for breakfast and lunch I have to eat very lightly, or else my stomach makes loud and long noises the entire school day, which is really embarrassing for me. I usually limit my breakfast to under 200 calories and lunch under 300 calories because of this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well there are a couple of things right away, you are young so your metabolism is naturally higher than most. Second, without seeing yoru diary, it's hard to provide constructive criticism. Keep in mind, we aren't here to judge but rather to help. If you want, make your diary public to friends only and I will friend you to help. Below is a breakout of your caloric needs based on your exercise levels. More than likely, you should be eating 2000-2300 calories. Also, keep in mind, you don't want to restrict your body as it's still developing. You can't follow the same guidelines as adults. If you do, you could have adverse issues later on in life.

Additionally, you don't have to eliminate bread (just try to make the bread whole grain or whole wheat). Carbs are NOT the enemy. You want to get complex carbs such as fruits and veggies and whole grains (wheat pasta, brown rice, etc. Also, at your age, I would try to not fuss over weight, i would try to concentrate on body fat. In terms of fitness, look to get strength training and cardio/hiit training. Muscle development is the best thing for you as it's the lifeline increasing your metabolism, insulin control, immune system and brain function. And don't worry, you won't get big and bulky as you don't have tons of tentosterone liek men do. Also, muscle takes up less space than fat... if you don't believe me, google 1 lb of muscle vs 1 lb of fat.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1539 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1764
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2021
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2279
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2536
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2793