1200 calories and working out...

Options
So im a nursing mom of a 6 month old. Im on a 1240 calories diet and im working out at least 40 min a day...I dont eat after 6 and i'v lost almost 11 pounds but i'v stopped losing as of a few days ago WHY!!!!

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    um, you shouldn't worry about this. its been only a few days. your body will go through cycles of weight loss...its not exactly continuous. also, it helps to trick the body from time to time. for example, you might want to have a 1700-2000 calorie day and it doesn't hurt to take a day off from exercise every few days to let your body recover. changing up your exercise routine helps as well. but, overall, I wouldn't worry about the scale not moving for a few days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So im a nursing mom of a 6 month old. Im on a 1240 calories diet and im working out at least 40 min a day...I dont eat after 6 and i'v lost almost 11 pounds but i'v stopped losing as of a few days ago WHY!!!!

Because you are not eating nearly enough food.. your body needs fuel to lose weight. If you aren't providing fuel, it won't lose and in fact, it will hold onto the fat. Below is a link to help you figure out caloric needs. I woudl check it out. You should be eating back all your exericse calories as well. I didn't know how tall you were, so I guess, but here are the results from the infromation I had. Essentially, you should probably be eating 2100 - 2400 ish calories a day to lose weight.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1809 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1858
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2129
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2399
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2670
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2941

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

For starters 1200 should be a minimum net goal, if you are not breast feeding. Since you are breastfeeding that would up you to at least 1500, and you should eat back most of what you burn. so if in the 40 minutes you burn 300 cals you should be eating a total of 1800 to net 1500 (1200+300). If you don't eat enough while breastfeeding you risk losing your supply.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    MFP took into account everything you plugged in when determining your goals. You definitely want to try to eat back at least half, if not all of your calories, if possible.

If you are eating your exercise calories, consider incrasing your calories by 200 calories and see if adjusting helps you get the weight to come off.

Plateaus happen, unfortunately, and when they do, that only means that it is time for a change, because your body has grown accustomed to what it was used to doing. Once it is adjusted, you will get stuck on a plateau and start to feel discouraged.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Are you *netting* 1240? Are you factoring in that you are nursing? You may actually need to eat MORE.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    A breastfeeding mom should eat an additional 200-400 calories a day. That is in addition to your 1240. Also, you really should be eating your exercise calories. Don't deprive your baby of good milk. It's not worth losing weight if your baby will suffer.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough while breastfeeding you risk losing your supply.

This too!
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you 1240....and you burn calories exercising..then you should also eat back some if not all your exercise caloies..but on top of that if you Breastfeeding (esp. if you are exclusively breastfeeding) you need to factor that in....it is usually 300-500 extra calories a day. You can actually put it into your food log...lol....click add an food under any of your meals and type in breastfeeding....it will give you options (exclusively, partly...etc) click the one that applies and it adds those extra calories to your day.....You don't want to deplete your supply (I have 4 kids....) or risk hurting the little one with too few calories......so even though I never ate ALL the calories it said I would eat say....1200+300+exercise calories......at least 1600.....Good luck! I know it's hard when you are nursing....
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump