Pumpkin Sandwich; a little food alchemy

Options
Phoenixflame
Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
I was hungry for pumpkin and had some leftover from a custard I made. This recipe is sort of a WIP, but I was so happy with the result I felt like I just had to post it.

PUMPKIN SANDWICH

Ingredients:
- 2 slices of bread (I used Nature's Own whole wheat 50 cal per slice)
- 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 1 tbsp fat free cream cheese OR 1/2 wedge of Laughing Cow Original Swiss (if you like sweet, go for the cream, if tangy, go for the Laughing Cow)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Ginger to taste
- Nutmeg to taste
- Sugar or artificial sweetener to taste (if you really like sweet)

Now, if you have a pannini maker, sandwich maker, or foreman grill, you are going to be experiencing a sweet sandwich nirvana. If not, you'll still have a tasty sandwich.

If you don't have a grill or maker, toast the bread. Otherwise, follow these directions. Toaster people, catch up.

Spread cheese on bread.
Spread pumpkin on bread.
Sprinkle on spices.
Slap the bread together and put it in the maker/grill.
When the bread is nice and toasty/grilled, take out.
Eat immediately. With soup or a salad if it's lunch.

Nutrition:
135 calories
28 g carb
2 g fat
9 g protein
6 g fiber

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Options
    I was hungry for pumpkin and had some leftover from a custard I made. This recipe is sort of a WIP, but I was so happy with the result I felt like I just had to post it.

PUMPKIN SANDWICH

Ingredients:
    - 2 slices of bread (I used Nature's Own whole wheat 50 cal per slice)
    - 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin
    - 1 tbsp fat free cream cheese OR 1/2 wedge of Laughing Cow Original Swiss (if you like sweet, go for the cream, if tangy, go for the Laughing Cow)
    - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    - Ginger to taste
    - Nutmeg to taste
    - Sugar or artificial sweetener to taste (if you really like sweet)

Now, if you have a pannini maker, sandwich maker, or foreman grill, you are going to be experiencing a sweet sandwich nirvana. If not, you'll still have a tasty sandwich.

If you don't have a grill or maker, toast the bread. Otherwise, follow these directions. Toaster people, catch up.

Spread cheese on bread.
    Spread pumpkin on bread.
    Sprinkle on spices.
    Slap the bread together and put it in the maker/grill.
    When the bread is nice and toasty/grilled, take out.
    Eat immediately. With soup or a salad if it's lunch.

Nutrition:
    135 calories
    28 g carb
    2 g fat
    9 g protein
    6 g fiber
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Mmm, this sounds good... I've been on a pumkin kick lately. Thank you for receipe, idea, and nutritional info! :smile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I opened a can of pumpkin for my dog (don't ask...:grumble: ) and was wondering what I could use the rest for that wasn't filled with fat & sugar. This sounds great! Good idea, PF!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I opened a can of pumpkin for my dog (don't ask...:grumble: ) and was wondering what I could use the rest for that wasn't filled with fat & sugar. This sounds great! Good idea, PF!

:laugh: :laugh:

Dog couldn't reach the opener on his own?? :laugh:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

Dog couldn't reach the opener on his own?? :laugh:

Dang thing told me that he couldn't use it b/c he doesn't have thumbs. Pfft. Worthless mutt. :laugh:
  • pamelaeilf
    Options
    While you have the pumpkin out, mix some in your morning oatmeal or a carton of vanilla yogart. Hmmmm.......... maybe a pumpkin smoothie? I love eggnog, it may be good!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    While you have the pumpkin out, mix some in your morning oatmeal or a carton of vanilla yogart. Hmmmm.......... maybe a pumpkin smoothie? I love eggnog, it may be good!

Oh, yum! In my oatmeal?? Oh man, I'm buying some more pumpkin!
  • Phoenixflame
    Options

HA! This morning I DID mix some pumpkin into my oatmeal. It adds lots of volume and not nearly as many calories as banana.

A pumpkin smoothie? This I will have to try. Hmmm...I have skim milk, but only Greek yogurt. Any suggestions for a thickener?
  • Annika
    Annika Posts: 55
    Options
    Could you use a regular pumpkin instead of canned? I don't really know what's in canned pumpkin...is it just pumpkin or is there spice too?
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Could you use a regular pumpkin instead of canned? I don't really know what's in canned pumpkin...is it just pumpkin or is there spice too?

I don't see why not. It just seems like a lot of work to peel and mash it up. Canned pumpkin, such as Libby's, is just mashed up pumpkin, with nothing added. However, there are canned pumpkin pie fillings, but those are clearly labeled as such.

Ok, pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie rocks but pumpkin sandwiches?????

I know, sounds horrid, right? I was REALLY bored. The tasty result floored me.

OH! UPDATE! Since the edit function on my original post seems to have expired.

I've been playing with it again. Another great filling, instead of cream cheese or Laughing Cow, is VANILLA YOGURT. Just a tablespoon or two. It adds a fluffy sweetness.

And for a meal, a hot soup would be the best accompaniment. Or for those who like eclectic lunches, a cup of soup with a small salad and the pumpkin sandwich. The sandwich then doubles as a sort of desserty-but-still-hearty item.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

I don't see why not. It just seems like a lot of work to peel and mash it up. Canned pumpkin, such as Libby's, is just mashed up pumpkin, with nothing added. However, there are canned pumpkin pie fillings, but those are clearly labeled as such.

Ok, pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie rocks but pumpkin sandwiches?????

I know, sounds horrid, right? I was REALLY bored. The tasty result floored me.

OH! UPDATE! Since the edit function on my original post seems to have expired.

I've been playing with it again. Another great filling, instead of cream cheese or Laughing Cow, is VANILLA YOGURT. Just a tablespoon or two. It adds a fluffy sweetness.

And for a meal, a hot soup would be the best accompaniment. Or for those who like eclectic lunches, a cup of soup with a small salad and the pumpkin sandwich. The sandwich then doubles as a sort of desserty-but-still-hearty item.

I have got to try this! Maybe this will be a snack tomorrow. Scratch that. Thursday. Tomorrow is the traditional New Years Chinese takeout at my mom's. Need to save my calories for shrimp fried rice. :wink:
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Now THAT is an interesting idea to try!

As for the rest of the pumpkin:

mix 1/2 cup with 8 oz vanilla soy milk, crushed ice, splenda, and pumpkin pie spice for an awesome HUGE smoothie.

or for "pumpkin fluff" : mix the rest of the can with a tub of FF cool whip, a 4-svg pkg of vanilla SF pudding and pie spice... use as a dip for graham crackers.
  • dewassel
    Options
    I am sooo trying this!