Joining a gym...

Options
but I'm worried about consuming calories.

I've been having 1200 a day recently with no exercise but now I'm going to be exercising. I'll go on the elliptical for about 20-30 minutes then the treadmill and switching between jogging to walking for about 20 minutes. I'll probably go on the bike afterwards but that's what I plan to do as I know I can do it easily. But how many calories should I consume? When I put 'Elliptical Trainer' into my exercise on MFP should I just go with those calories? I have an elliptical at home and I used to burn around 10 calories per minute but I think that was incorrect as I'm not overweight.

So with what I plan to do at the gym I'll probably burn around... 400-500 calories?

I'm pretty stuck with how many calories to have. I want to lose weight asap now as I'm frustrated... so good tips/information would be good from experiences etc.

I'm 5'1, 117.2lb and 18 years old.

Thank you.

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you want to be 100% sure get a heart rate monitor. Personally I dont like heart rate monitors so I use whats on MFP and I always leave some extra calories (around 200) left at the end of the day to account for error.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with rpamball - a heart rate monitor is the only way to really know. I personally like MFP's calc and try to eat ~75% of those calories back (as the estimates are high for me). So I wouldn't give you a set number, but if you use MFP's exercise database, that's my advice

**EDIT - assuming you cannot get a HRM. that is by far the best choice
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used to rely completely on what the machines at the gym told me that I burned. After finally investing in a good HRM, I realized that the machines were lying to me. That is really the only way to truly get an accurate count. MFP and the machines can only be so accurate because neither of them take into account your resting heart rate, and other factors that are important.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM. I trust , somewhat, MFP. A personal trainer told me few weeks ago that you burn about 2/3 of the cals. that the machines in the gym show.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I concur. It really is amazing how off the machines and MFP can be. They do the best they can with the general information that you provide them. The machines at the gym are routinely 40% off for me. For example, the cybex arc trainer readout will display 996 calories burned, and my heart rate monitor will say "612". The HRM I have accounts for a general fitness level, the amount of activity I do over the course of time (which it tracks), and the results of a fit test I do every 60 days. If you're going to eat back the calories, I would leave a cushion of about 25-30% of those calories, more if you're extremely fit.
  • AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said so far. For example: I was on the tredmil yesterday for 38 min at a 5.0 pace. MFP said I burned 450+ calories but I put in my weight, height, and age in the tredmil and it said I only burned 398. And that may still not be accurate but its probably a little closer. Also if I don't measure out my food with servings I say 1.5 or 2 servings of everything(also room for error). Don't beat yourself up if you are a little over your calories. This is just a guide to help you notice and be more aware of what you are eating. :) GOOD LUCK!
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    First of all I want to say I wish you the best of luck. Its admirable to keep your calories that low and discipline yourself. When you are working out though you will need to up your calorie intake and you need to consume clean & healthy foods so that your body is being fueled properly and your body can convert that fuel/food to muscle. You want to burn fat and the way to do that is to build muscle. One suggestion I will respectfully give you is add more weight training in to your agenda. Us ladies have this idea that we should do a ton of cardio but there's room for cardio in the week just dont have your workouts revolve around that. I dont personally attend a gym anymore, i gave that and a trainer up when i became my own personal trainer by pressing play in my living room and I am getting a Heart Rate Monitor so that I can track it. I also limit my calorie intake like you & had once been consuming 1200 calories a day but now I must consume more if I dont want to look scrawny and boney, which I do not.