Body Combat

Hi all,

I have my first Body Combat class tonight (fancy something different to rowing machines!).

Just wondering how many calories that would burn for 60mins, and if anyone else does it?

Replies

• J3NZ0R
    J3NZ0R Posts: 26 Member
    I assume you mean GoodLife's BodyCombat? Head over to the Les Mills website. They have average calorie burns for all their classes, including BodyStep, RPM, BodyPump, etc. These classes have high burns as they're intense; I know I burn up to 700 doing 50 minutes of RPM. Hope that helps!
  • It depends on the usual factors of weight, height and how hard you work out but the BTS blurb says it's about 650/700 cals. I used to burn upwards of 850 cals in a Body Combat class.

Have fun, it's addictive and full of some seriously great moves and music. The Mauy Thai track is still my favourite part of those classes.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Looooove Body Combat!

Best way to work out your calorie burn - because let's face it it'll different for everyone - is to wear a Heart Rate Monitor.

I wore mine to a 45 min Combat class on Saturday, and burned 550 calories in that time. Heart rate got up to 190 during some of the kicking tracks.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    I assume you mean GoodLife's BodyCombat? Head over to the Les Mills website. They have average calorie burns for all their classes, including BodyStep, RPM, BodyPump, etc. These classes have high burns as they're intense; I know I burn up to 700 doing 50 minutes of RPM. Hope that helps!

Thanks, that's really helped :o)

I only have a leaflet from my leisure centre...now I've watched the video I am wondering if it's for me or not!!

Will find out tonight, but I know there is no way I can kick like that...it's gonna be a laugh (at least I hope no one will be bothered!) :p
  • melaniecheeks
    It takes a bit of getting used to, and no you won't be able to kick like a demon on your first class!

But you know what? I bet you after 10 classes you'll be amazed at what you can do :smile:
  • martinh78
    I hope so :)

I have six weeks membership at the local leisure centre ("summer offer"). This and other classes are included along with the machines and weights so it's a bargain!

I reckon it could be a good way to meet some new friends as well.
  • martinh78
    Well that was different! I liked it though :)

TYhe upper body stuiff was good, the kicks were dreadful as was my timing for any of teh leg work lol.

Not as bad as I thought though and my heart rate monitor reckons 950 cals in an hour!
  • melaniecheeks
    Yay! Go you!

You'll find the choreographed bits become easier as you do them a few times.

Great burn!
  • martinh78
    Thanks!

They do another class on Sunday, so if I'm not out climbing I'll be there. Otherwise Wednesday nights are going to be a regular thing :)

WAY more fun than indoor rowing on my own. Would still rather be outdoors but this was fun and sociable.
  • Glad you enjoyed it, it's an awesome class and it really does burn calories like a burning thing :)

That and Body Jam are the two classes I miss most since I left my gym and opted to do home workouts.... I hope they do an open weekend at my old gym soon so I can go and just have a blast with the gang one more time.
  • I've been watching videos on the different stances, kicks and punches. Almost trashed my PC :o)

I'll get there...
  • Monkeymin
    Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
    I went to my 3rd Body combat class yesterday and am totally addicted. I burn an average of 600 calories per class and I'm still getting used to the moves. I makes me feel a real high afterwards. Feel free to add me for support
  • char63
    char63 Posts: 38 Member
    Ive been wanting to try a combat class, but not done so as yet as I feel a bit weird going alone. But I think I will book one, it sounds good!!
  • I did my third class on Wednesday and I'm understanding the moves/changes more now, it's getting easier to follow.

I say go for it, I went alone and to be honest once you start the class you won't be talking to anyone, everyone just gets on with it.
  • Monkeymin
    Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
    On Tuesday I will be attending my fourth class and I love it. I am able to follow the routines well and can certainly see some changes in my muscle tone in my arms.

I reccommend it.
  • melaniecheeks
    New Release launch today (49, I think?)

Not so much leg work as 48, and some odd starting with the left arm routines.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm a step instructor and we say it takes 3 classes to get the moves and 3 more to get the timing, so I'm glad you're sticking with it and having fun!
  • I recently did Body Combat 49....I thought it was great...very different to 48 in that it involves less technique and more working hard to burn and get aerobic.

If you are new to COmbat this could be a good release to get stuck into...if your an old hand this is a good release to blast through and really get a body shock...
    I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to doing it again soon.....it might get old quickly but if your instructor is a good one they should be doing mixes of various routines towards the end of the 3 months anyway.....

enjoy it al and stay with fight!!!!
    jon
  • melaniecheeks
    I find 49 has less leg work, and I found some of the routines starting with the left were a bit unusual. My instructor says they're saving themselves for something SPECTACULAR for Release 50.
  • Burned another 850 calories last night and feel like I'm getting into the timing more now. Still need to perfect a lot of the moves but I am getting there!