Articles says exercise won't make you thin

Options
13»

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Pft. I personally find this article to be bogus. And as for what someone said earlier about not mentioning his diet--that is exactly right.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    OKAY what about michael phelps, the olympic swimmer? the guy eats 12,000 calories a day, his meals are like this:

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

granted, he is an olympic athlete, so he exercises a lot more than we do. but still, he eats all this stuff and still has the body of a greek god. what gives?

His metabolism...plus he uses all that food as fuel and burns it right off. If you notice there are alot of carbs, which he needs for training like he does. I'd like to see his workout regimen.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm living proof that exercise alone will not make you lose weight. I "managed" to gain 10 lbs while training for my 1st marathon (which I successfully completed and did in a reasonable time -- I was just carrying around a 10 lb "backpack")!

One of my downfalls was an amazing Cuban bakery just a few stores down from my gym. Would work out for two hours at the gym and then stop at the bakery for a diet coke and an enormous pastry! At least the weight I put on was "quality". Those pastries were delicious!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's really nice to know people's opinions as I am a beginner in the diet/weight loss/exercise field.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by what they said about children and exercise. I think it's good for children to get some exercise, not just for their weight, but for their overall health. Here is a fact: when my 2-year-old doesn't get enough exercise during the day, she wakes up in the middle of the night (usually around 2-3am). :sick: On the nights where I take her outside to run around before going to bed, she sleeps like a champ.

So, I get the basic jist of the article. Exercise alone won't make you lose weight. However, there are so many other benefits to exercising.