Pudge or Paranoia?

Options
Er...I'm 5'4" and weigh 143. I eat between 1250-1350 calories a day, without exercise. Since coming home for the holidays, I've been very careful about what I eat and (except for Christmas day) haven't gone over my calories. However, I'm probably consuming more sodium, and I haven't been working out nearly as much. The latter at least will be changing very soon, as I'm back at my house that's close to my gym.

Despite not going over my calories, I feel fatter. I look in the mirror and think I look softer. However, I'm a super paranoid person when it comes to my body. WOULD I be gaining weight? I don't have a scale in my house to check (I was at the doctor's a week ago and was weighed).

I'm hoping that the reason I "feel" a bit heavier is that I've been consuming more sodium so my body's holding onto some water, and I've lost a bit of muscle tone due to less exercise.

Is this the most likely case, or is it more likely I've put on some fat?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Er...I'm 5'4" and weigh 143. I eat between 1250-1350 calories a day, without exercise. Since coming home for the holidays, I've been very careful about what I eat and (except for Christmas day) haven't gone over my calories. However, I'm probably consuming more sodium, and I haven't been working out nearly as much. The latter at least will be changing very soon, as I'm back at my house that's close to my gym.

Despite not going over my calories, I feel fatter. I look in the mirror and think I look softer. However, I'm a super paranoid person when it comes to my body. WOULD I be gaining weight? I don't have a scale in my house to check (I was at the doctor's a week ago and was weighed).

I'm hoping that the reason I "feel" a bit heavier is that I've been consuming more sodium so my body's holding onto some water, and I've lost a bit of muscle tone due to less exercise.

Is this the most likely case, or is it more likely I've put on some fat?
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My guess would be the sodium. When you get used to having a well hydrated, non-bloated body, the very slightest bloating makes you feel like an elephant!! I know that is how it works for me. I feel like I gained 10 pounds because my clothes don't fit as loose as they were, but when I step on the scale, it's really nothing, just 1 or 2 pounds that is usually gone the next day. Just relax, enjoy your time home, and drink water, water and more water!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    My guess would be water retention. I doubt that you would actually put on fat in a few days/meals. But water retention, look out! It is so quick! I can watch my wedding ring get tighter, then tighter! Drink lots of water to flush it through, get back to your normal routine. And if you are one to freak out over the numbers on the scales stay away from it!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    If I haven't exercised and worked either cardio, weights or both, I get to feeling that soft pudgy feeling too. And, although the scale doesn't move, it seems like I'm a bit softer and puffier. I think that for me, it's because I haven't been working out and keeping toned.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Try to be consistent with your workouts. I try not to go more than a day of rest. Maybe 2 if I have difficult circumstances (i.e. weather problems, time challenge etc.) Try also reducing the salt. Water, more water. See if that helps.