SAUNA USE

Options
Do you burn calories in the sauna and if so, where would I enter that on here?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you burn any it would not be much more than you would burn at rest. Any weight you lose from being in a sauna is all water weight due to sweating. That being said the sauna can be good for getting rid of toxins in your body.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the sauna :] feel so good after a good workout on my achy muscles! Barely burns and calories tho sadly.

So worth it tho :]
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    If you burn any it would not be much more than you would burn at rest. Any weight you lose from being in a sauna is all water weight due to sweating. That being said the sauna can be good for getting rid of toxins in your body.

ok got it....so if i do arm curls in there would it then be actual calories instead of water?
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I LOVE the sauna :] feel so good after a good workout on my achy muscles! Barely burns and calories tho sadly.

So worth it tho :]

hey sunshine!!:-) guess I'll just take it as a relaxing time after a workout then.
  • samanthalynne21
    samanthalynne21 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    yes...its about 100 calorie per 10 mins. Its all water weight...but its good for your muscles before and after working out...I used to do it allll the time. love the sauna! lol
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Haha we are twinsies! xD

It always makes my skin feel great too :D I dont think many people know about the one on campus hehe i always have it to myself :D
  • Lovesparklesandcupcakes
    Options
    I love the sauna too and have taken to coming into work late just so I can add a session after my morning workouts. I would never log it though as I see it more as a way to cleanse and relax after a workout than as a calorie burning exercise. Enjoy!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    yes...its about 100 calorie per 10 mins. Its all water weight...but its good for your muscles before and after working out...I used to do it allll the time. love the sauna! lol

You do not burn 600 cals/hour in the sauna, not sure where you got that from.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sitting in the sauna won't burn calories, if anything it will supress your metabolism because of the heat. Excess heat = body tries not to produce any.

Also watch how much you sweat. Water/sodium loss is a problem with saunas. At the same time, they feel soooooooooo good (even if I'm more of a hot tub guy myself :P)
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Sitting in the sauna won't burn calories, if anything it will supress your metabolism because of the heat. Excess heat = body tries not to produce any.

Also watch how much you sweat. Water/sodium loss is a problem with saunas. At the same time, they feel soooooooooo good (even if I'm more of a hot tub guy myself :P)

it will supress my metabolism??!! i don't wanna do that. I'm trying to boost my metabolism. that sucks!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure doing any kind of working out in the sauna is a bad idea. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't sound wise.