A Mom on a Mission - with a unique concern...

Options
Hello everyone!

I have tried this dieting thing before but with out all that much luck. I've always tried it alone, so i'm really hoping to make some good friends and geat support through this site. I am a 24 year old mom who is also a preschool teacher, which while I am insanly active with the kids I can never seem to get down on the weight. Again, I'm really hoping this site gears me in the right direction.

My unique concern?

I have a teeth decay issue - (it's gentic, I brushed and did all the right stuff lol) So over the next year I will be having all of my teeth pulled. I had my top four molars pulled monday. I'm already struggling to find soft and easy to eat foods that are healthy and am absolutely open to any suggestions you may have.

I really don't wanna live on yogurt lol!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

All the best!
-Christy

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    this might sound funny... but try looking at baby food!! that stuff is designed for people like you
  • lakegirl5905
    lakegirl5905 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try fat-free pudding or low-fat, fat-free ice cream. Good luck!
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I love to steam baby carrots, and then eat them cold...they are super tender and taste yummy! The steaming makes them taste sweeter, so it is almost like a super low calorie treat! I use a rice steamer, and steaming most veggies leaves them very tender. I also use it to make oatmeal!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Mash up cauliflower like mashed potatoes and add a little skim milk and garlic.....yummy!

Pureed veggie soups.....

Squash.....top with butter and cinnamon!!

Smoothies for your fruit intake!
  • twotfluty
    Options
    Can you maybe puree some foods? For example a smooth butternut squash soup or zucchini soup? Another member posted a site called skinnytaste.com and there are a lot of very healthy soup recipes. Maybe you could also make some fruit pops if you have the molds (or just stick it in a wax lined cup with a popsicle stick and peel it off after).

I hope this helps!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    try hummus with warm pita bread
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Soft foods:

risotto
    cottage pie
    cooked fruit
    any mash
    fish is fairly soft when cooked too.
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    This is a unique concern!

You could get a juicer and juice fruits and veggies. Make smoothies with plain greek yogurt for protein.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheeses, meal replacements. Big key to anything you try is to make sure you are getting adequate protein. Protein is slower to digest and will keep you feeling full longer. Also, you made mention that you tried "dieting" before. Let's throw that word away. This will be a lifestyle change for you to be successful. I know it sounds strange, but you have to eat to lose. Make sure you are getting your calories. If you don't get enough, then your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to everything you put in it. I hope this is somewhat helpful.
  • grlwithmostcake
    Options
    I can in many ways relate to your 'unique' issue. I had a tremendous amount of dental and deep gum surgery over the course of a year and between recovery and the pain of the constrant jaw manipulation during procedures I found chewing foods difficult. I survived using some creativity. Get a food processor. There are a lot of great raw soup recipes out there that taste good , are nutrient rich and do not look scary or gross to eat. Some it will seem really weird--like raw cauliflower mashed potatoes, almond and sunflower seed pate--just google away--the possibilities are endless using a processor/blender. I also did a lot of juicing--carrots, apples--whatever I could stuff in the juicer. I took the lunch box sized soy milk boxes with me to work and in my purse for an easy pick me up--they do not require constant refrigeration. When time was tight I relied on boxed soups and yogurt. I hope this helps some! Good luck on your dental journey.
  • lyknscribe
    Options
    Stupid question - how do you steam them?
  • lyknscribe
    Options
    WOW! What an amazing group of suggestions! For a first introduction to this site you have already proven your selves amazing!
    Yeah, in regards to my teeth it's gentic, my mom had hers pulled at 21 and my grandmother at 18. I did everything you are supposed to - just had some rotten luck.

I'm really greatful for all of the amazing suggestions.

I should have added I don't know how to cook much of anything that doesn't go -ding- when it's done LOL. It's one of the many things I am working on and am open to tips and suggestions.

Someone mentioned protein shakes - aren't they expensive?

I'll look into pureeing the food, i'm just trying to stay away from feeling like i'm eating baby food. I know there isn't anything wrong with it. I made my sons Baby food after all - but it just feels werid.

Make any sense.

Some one mentioned soups, and I'm all about it. Any suggestions for good healthy low cost soups?
  • DoriLuke
    DoriLuke Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Soup! Try the weight watchers 0 point soup recipe (google it) - it is really yummy!