How long should I take to get out of starvation mode?

Options
So for the past 8 months or so I've been eating 1200 calories total. Not eating my exercise calories or anything extra. I burn usually 500 exercise calories 6 days a week. I plateaued for 3 weeks and then got a bodymedia fit and realized I'm eating way to little. On average I probably burn (with exercise) 2800 or more calories per day, my highest day was 3344. So this week I started eating 1400 calories. Should I just keep bumping it up by 100 each week until I'm eating all my calories? Or what. I did lose this week, but I'm afraid to eat to much and start gaining. I still have a ways to go until I reach my goal.

Replies

• Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    Bump
  • Blackdog2001
    Options
    Just a thought, but make sure your body is getting the calories it needs to develop lean muscle which will help you burn more fat. If you are burning protein for energy you won't do your body good.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Bump

I have no idea! Here is a bump for someone who may know more
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If you've been in starvation mode you may very well gain a little before you start losing again, but as long as you're eating less than your BMF reading (within reason) you will start to lose again, and it will be healthier.

*has a BB and LOVES it*

edit to add: increasing by 100 calories a week is a very logical way to bump your calories until you're at a safe level.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    If you've been in starvation mode you may very well gain a little before you start losing again, but as long as you're eating less than your BMF reading (within reason) you will start to lose again, and it will be healthier.

*has a BB and LOVES it*

edit to add: increasing by 100 calories a week is a very logical way to bump your calories until you're at a safe level.

I agree. For now, forget the scale......it will go up but your body will learn that you are niot trying to kill yourself anymore and it will come down.

Good luck
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem but i didn't do it gradually. one day i was eating 1200 and the next i was eating between 1800 and 2400 calories a day (depends if it was a workout day or not). i gained 5lbs within 3 days (water weight) and was down 6lbs by the following week. i didn't freak out about the gain because i knew i would lose. i finally broke my plateau too!