Eggs?

Options
Please explain why no one eats egg yolks? I always just eat two eggs..fat? cholesterol?
Help please!

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    No clue... I eat three eggs almost every morning... whole eggs, yolk and all... with cheese!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    No clue... I eat three eggs almost every morning... whole eggs, yolk and all... with cheese!

me too.

all depends on your macros and where you prefer the fat coming from. i went for a long time doing egg whites with 1 yolk. now i have more calories to work with so i've been yolking it and cheesing it up.
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I always eat 1-2 whole eggs plus some egg whites. I like that the whites give me more food and a fuller feeling without the extra calories. Whole eggs are really great for you, I agree- but when the whites are only 17 cal each, I love piling them on.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs every morning yolks and all. It keeps me full until lunch and its only 140 calories. Here's an article I found via

Oprah: http://www.oprah.com/health/Will-Eating-Eggs-Everyday-Raise-My-Cholesterol

I'll copy and paste the article here:
    <b>Will Eating Two Eggs a Day Raise My Cholesterol?</b>
    By Dr. Katz
    O, The Oprah Magazine | From the May 2008 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine

Q: At least four times a week, I have two eggs with a piece of toast for breakfast. I find that it satisfies my hunger better than any other breakfast and gets me through to lunch. My cholesterol is normal, so am I okay with this approach?—Denielle Backstrom, Colorado Springs

A: I'm not surprised that you find this meal so satisfying. Eggs are a great source of high-quality protein, and the evidence is strong that protein is more filling than carbohydrates or fat. You don't have to worry too much about your heart: Numerous studies show that cholesterol from food sources has little effect on levels in your blood. (It's the saturated and trans fat in food that raises your cholesterol.) Since our early ancestors ate a diet rich in cholesterol from organ meats, eggs, shellfish, and bone marrow, it makes sense that our bodies would have evolved to safely digest high levels.

A number of studies suggest that about one egg a day has no adverse effect on health outcomes. A study in my lab found that eating two eggs daily for six weeks also had no harmful effects in healthy adults, and we are even seeing similar results in people with high cholesterol. But it's unclear what the risk might be over a period of years.

What's certain is that eating only an egg breakfast deprives you of the opportunity to get more whole grains into your diet. Having whole wheat toast with your eggs helps, but breakfast cereals rich in whole grains—with a minimum of added sugar or salt (my favorites include Nature's Path and Kashi)—will also satisfy your hunger while giving you a bigger dose of fiber.

Consider adjusting your regimen so that you average no more than an egg a day, which will make room for whole grains.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/health/Will-Eating-Eggs-Everyday-Raise-My-Cholesterol#ixzz1WcqPusCj
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I eat fried eggs, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs - all with yolk. I tried it without for a bit and my nutritionist looked at me like I was crazy and said eat the whole egg and cut fat elsewhere.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat 2 or 3 whites, and then I eat normal cheese. I tried it the other way around with 1 white, 1 full and low calorie cheese . . . that *kitten* is more plastic than velveeta.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Consider adjusting your regimen so that you average no more than an egg a day, which will make room for whole grains.
    I really like this idea. Cannot live on eggs alone - so mix it up and add some variety but don't be scared to eat eggs. My favorite is to load up some scrambled eggs with lots of veges- Spinach, mushrooms, onion, red pepper. I can't eat eggs plain anymore.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with regular cheddar cheese wrapped in a high fiber tortilla... best of ALL worlds.... as long as there is coffee too. :bigsmile: AND it's easy to take on the road if you're running late.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

me too.

me three, no cheese.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat yolks because they are gross. They taste like the inside of a chicken's ovary.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I eat fried eggs, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs - all with yolk. I tried it without for a bit and my nutritionist looked at me like I was crazy and said eat the whole egg and cut fat elsewhere.

Me too! I'm an eggbert!
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I was concerned I had missed something, and heaven forbid, I would miss anything....
    Love my eggs! All kinds of ways.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't eat yolks because they are gross. They taste like the inside of a chicken's ovary.

How many chicken ovaries have you eaten? OK..I had to go there...ha thanks.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

what have I told you about licking chicken ovaries!
  • Contrarian
    Options

How many chicken ovaries have you eaten? OK..I had to go there...ha thanks.

Don't judge me, lady.
  • Contrarian
    Options

what have I told you about licking chicken ovaries!

Don't judge me either, lady.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, and the yolks are where most of the nutrition is (choline, etc). Research says that in most people they won't raise cholesterol levels, and that they will in fact help you to lose more weight in the long run.

I understand cutting back on calories, but unless you have an actual taste aversion I don't really see a need to cut substance like I see a lot of people doing here.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I heart eggs.. and pretty much eat them 7 days a week for breakfast with either bacon, hash browns, fruit, toast, or half a ham steak.

I'd rather cut things else where, then not eat my fried egg.
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I loveeeeee eggs :wink: I have one egg fried in Pam, sprinkle a little cheese on top and 1 slice of wholewheat toast every morning and then on weekends I do scrambled eggs with cheese...it keeps me full longer and it taste great!!!!:smile:
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Me too Me too!!!

I have found that when I eat 1 egg fried and toast and bacon, it's like 240 calories and I am not hungry till lunch. I feel good all day and don't get that run down feeling!!