Knee pain..what to do?

Options
Hi there-

I started using mfp in January and also started walking (about 4mph). I have worked up to walking 1 to1 1/2 hours 4-6 times per week. Three weeks ago I started the couch to 5k program and have now been experiencing knee pain. It's by the patella on the inner side of my knee cap. Does anyone know of any home remedies? Or are there certain exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles around the knee to help stabilize it? Or any other ideas? I really don't want to screw my knee up. Exercising has been a huge part of my weight loss... Thanks!!

Replies

• maparapa22
    Options
    I'd say take some time off and let it heal. I over extended my knee and kept running and I just aggravated it some more. I did weights since I couldn't run so I'd strengthen my knee and I'd ice it. HOpe you feel better.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you have good shoes, they can make a huge difference on your knees. Also, try putting ice on your knees for 10-20min after exercise. These have helped me. -Ashley
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I injured one of my knees in Iraq and it's bothered me for years, and the weight gain just made it worse. One thing that helps strengthen it is swimming. You could do some easy laps, or some cycling underwater, and it strengthens your knee and makes it hurt less. I also lost my first 30 lbs by riding my bike, because I had to do low impact. Now that I've taken some weight off my knee I am trying some different types of cardio. Best of luck!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm with Ashley - I put water in a dixie cup and freeze it. Then peel back the top of the cup and expose the ice. Give yourself an ice massage for 15 minutes after your runs/walks and it should help. My knee was recently bothering me from the hills around my house, and the ice cups combined with advil have really helped. Good luck!
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Also, stretch every morning/night! Trust me, it makes a big difference!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    R.I.C.E. Get a neoprene support. Ride a bike, swim. There's lots of things you can do. If it's severe, see a Dr.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Could it be arthritis? Glucosamine/Chondrotin (sp?) is great for relieving to joint pain, but if you think its an injury...better take it easy for a little while!

I have arthritis in my knees, and that helped me immediately (had to stop taking it because it has a warning about people with shellfish allergy taking it, and that's me).

If you have access to an elliptical machine, that helps a lot to build knee strength without much impact.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Is it pattela related tendonitis? If there is such a thing, I have had patella and cartilage problems in the past. If you saw a physical therapst they could give you exercises.. Ice and ibuprofen and stretching can help. Also leg extensions without weights unless you are able. Good luck
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My knees hurt when I run too and I posted on the boards. Someone said to strengthen my hips because they're most likely the problem and my knees would feel better. Sure enough, it's been working, so try hip exercises. Also, make sure you have good sneakers.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    First I cant stress enough to see your Doctor. I would stop c25K until you get this resolved and go back to walking maybe include some swimming and or cycling. OK now what can you do..

Ice
    Rest
    and knee strengthening.

Knee strengthening... do you have any resistance bands? Try these:
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/resistance_bands/standing_abduction.php
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/resistance_bands/hip_adduction.php
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/resistance_bands/knee_flexion.php
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/resistance_bands/knee_extension.php
  • slippymcgee
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Got some great ideas. I appreciate it!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    like this post
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Bump