Good, cheap, accurate calorie counter and heart rate monitor

Like the title says, looking for something that works. I've seen a New Balance heart rate monitor, calorie counter, & step counter at Target for $15 but I'm skeptical on how accurate it would be.

All I'm really looking for is a calorie counter & heart rate monitor, don't really need anything else.

Let me know your experience with some.

Thanks!

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    The only thing I can say about HRMs are that you get what you pay for. Honestly, go for a FT4....Its worth the money.
  • Avoid the Timex HRM with heart strap (usually about $50 on amazon). They are totally, completely, absolutely NOT accurate.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    cheap and accurate are words that DO NOT MIX. Polar is pretty much the brand to use for HRMs. Even if it doesn't have a calorie counter included, there are online calculators to figure it out. I would go to a sporting goods store as opposed to Target.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Avoid the Timex HRM with heart strap (usually about $50 on amazon). They are totally, completely, absolutely NOT accurate.

This for sure!

Polar FT4 would prob. be your best bet.. about 63 dollars on amazon, shipped and easy to use/set up with an accurate calorie count/heart rate monitor.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 694 Member
    if you want accurate you need one with a chest strap....you can usually get the polar F4 on amazon for around $55 or the Timex Ironman Road trainer for around $50....though they say the polar is more accurate with calories
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    bump
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    The only thing I can say about HRMs are that you get what you pay for. Honestly, go for a FT4....Its worth the money.

Does that model have a chest strap? Amazon.com doesn't list it being included and I always read that you should have one.
  • dad106

Does that model have a chest strap? Amazon.com doesn't list it being included and I always read that you should have one.

Yes it has a chest strap... Amazon doesn't list it as having one, but all polars come with a chest strap.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Avoid the Timex HRM with heart strap (usually about $50 on amazon). They are totally, completely, absolutely NOT accurate.

and how do you know this?
  • dad106

and how do you know this?

I know this was not directed towards me but I had this HRM and experienced first hand.. so here we go.

In order to get an accurate calorie estimation, you need two things:
    A chest strap and a watch that lets you input all your personal information(age, sex, weight,height, and VO2Max if the watch allows for that)

The Timex HRM that poster is referencing, only lets you put in weight and max/lower heart rate. So it automatically assumes you are a male, and thus gives you the calorie burn of a male. They also do not use VO2Max in any of their watches.

I know when I had it, I walked 30 min on a treadmill at a 15% incline at a speed of 3.0 and it told me I burned 581 calories. I did the exact same exercise with my Polar and got closer to 300 calories burned.. Thats a 281 calorie difference.. Which is huge.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member

It sure does come with a chest strap. I believe all Polars do. Polar, in gneral, are GREAT products. This is my second HRM with them (two different types because I'm lame hahaha) and I couldnt be happier.
  • Thanks for all the info everyone!