A startling and helpful realization...

Options
Now that I'm paying more attention to portion control, I've noticed something about my eating habits. The other night I was trying to enjoy my 29 cracker serving of reduced-fat Cheez-Its and I realized that, instead of eating one cracker, chewing it, swallowing it, and starting again, I had a tendency to toss two or three crackers in my mouth at a time and, before I'd even finished chewing, toss in two or three more. I've noticed myself doing this with bites of other food as well. Now, I've made the conscious decision to slow down, only eat one bite at a time, and not put anything else in my mouth until all of the previous bite is chewed and swallowed. I also try to take a drink in between each bite. This allows me to enjoy my food more and makes it seem as though I'm eating more food, even though it is the same amount. I'm sure some of you have already noticed yourselves doing this but, if you haven't, pay attention and give it a try!

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! I always knew I loved food - but I had no idea just how much I really can enjoy meals when I slow down and taste everything I put in my mouth!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way!!! When it comes to M&M's, nuts, etc. anything small...I'm horrible!
  • socialite1
    socialite1 Posts: 109
    Options
    I've started sitting down at the table and eating my meals instead of in front of the tv. That helps a lot too.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try that! A good friend and I are supposed to go out for Italian. It might be a good night to savor every bite! And, he'd get a kick out of it, too!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I like a mouthFULL of food. Not nibbles.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my food by putting it into my mouth as quickly as possible. But your suggestions are still great for portion control... and I think MOST other people enjoy food by eating slowly and savoring each bite....just not me. :smile:
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm really bad about eating waaayyy too fast.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I too can chow down some snack food really quickly! I'll be thinking, "I probably just ate a serving or two" and then see that the bag/box is halfway gone and that there are 20 servings in it, so I really ate 10 servings... It sucks when I do that.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My dad always wolfed hismeals down, and I always tried racing him. That habit has stuck with me. I'm the fastest eater I know.