No shocker!

Options
Saw this article and thought I would share it...

Couldn't get the pictures to work... go to http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/portion-sizes-then-and-now-america-growing to see with pictures.

America's Ever-Growing Portion Sizes

August 31, 2011 at 7:13AM by Katie Robbins

With bucket-sized soft drinks, bagels the size of baseballs, and burgers that you can barely get your mouth around, it's no wonder that, according to the CDC, one-third of adult Americans are currently obese. In the last 20 years portions have been ballooning — and we've been getting bigger right along with them. From 1980 to 2008, obesity rates doubled for adults and tripled for children.

Thanks to the National Heart, Blood and Lung Institute (part of the National Institutes of Health), we can take a peek back at what portions looked like 20 years ago and compare that to what they look like now. Hint? They've gotten a lot, lot bigger. (via DivineCaroline.com)

Portion Sizes 20 Years Ago and Today

Bagels
Then: 3-inch diameter, 140 calories Now: 6-inch diameter, 350 calories

Fast Food Cheeseburgers
Then: 333 calories Now: 590 Calories

Spaghetti and Meatballs
Then: 1 cup of spaghetti and sauce with 3 meatballs, 500 calories Now: 2 cups of pasta and sauce with 3 meatballs, 1,025 calories

Soda
Then: 6.5 ounces, 85 calories Now: 20 ounces, 250 calories

Blueberry Muffin
Then: 1.5 ounces, 210 calories Now: 5 ounces, 500 calories

French Fries
Then: 2.4 ounces, 210 calories Now: 6.9 ounces, 610 calories

Replies

• sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Not a shocker, but it is still scary to realize how much crap is in all this food. Thanks for sharing.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. I like a good shocker.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    you are correct no shocker
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

shocker_LRG.gif
  • slimmerme2012
    Options
    sad!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I went to the US (Tennessee) when I was in my early 20's when I just started getting bigger & still looked like a supermodel compared to some of the people walking around. My sis & I (another big girl at the time) used to order one portion of food between us to share much to the consternation of the serving staff. We were both big eaters & greedy to boot but one portion of the average serving was more than enough to satisfy us both. How one person could consume all that food I don't know but they seemed to manage it & 18 years ago it was apparent just how many huge (not just overweight) people were around. I can only imagine it has gotten worse.

The UK is heading that way too but we still have relatively normal portion sizes in restaurants.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I went to the US (Tennessee) when I was in my early 20's when I just started getting bigger & still looked like a supermodel compared to some of the people walking around. My sis & I (another big girl at the time) used to order one portion of food between us to share much to the consternation of the serving staff. We were both big eaters & greedy to boot but one portion of the average serving was more than enough to satisfy us both. How one person could consume all that food I don't know but they seemed to manage it & 18 years ago it was apparent just how many huge (not just overweight) people were around. I can only imagine it has gotten worse.

The UK is heading that way too but we still have relatively normal portion sizes in restaurants.

The entire south has MUCH higher obesity rates than the rest of the country, but yea, I know exactly what you are saying.

Food sizes are enormous. Its very easy to eat like 4-5000 calories in a day if you eat out 1-2 times.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options

shocker_LRG.gif

exactly what I was thinking.
  • laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    lol...I probably should have titled it something else.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

The entire south has MUCH higher obesity rates than the rest of the country, but yea, I know exactly what you are saying.

Food sizes are enormous. Its very easy to eat like 4-5000 calories in a day if you eat out 1-2 times.

Portion sizes in the states are WAY bigger than they are in Canada.

When I was on vacation the burgers at Burger King were like twice the size that they are here and don't even get me started on how GIANT the starbucks pastries are!!! HOLY CROW!!!!!!!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    drives me insane that you can't get a 16 or 20 oz fountain soda anymore, everything is 32oz or more! I don't drink soda very often but sometimes i want one but not 32 oz!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    it's pretty disgusting isn't it? it's our materialistic world, more more more, more is better... i have more, i win....

i eat more, i win the fat competition... win win win