New, nervous, ED

So i am new. I just joined this month. But i have been on this site literally every day since, reading through old blogs and posts and recipes and motivational discussions and everything. I am a bit nervous about this, but wanted to get it out there.. and think i need to to get on my way to recovery

I am 18 years old, a freshman in college. I am fairly active. I am 5"8 and about 150 pounds and I am also bulimic. I hate the word, but thats what it is so i will say it. I don't know how correct or okay it is to talk about that here...so hope this is okay with everyone haha

I am really nervous but also pretty hopeful. I hope i can lose a few pounds-the healthy way this time! And not just lose the weight, but learn what foods and portions to put into my body that won't make me feel so guilty that I have no choice (or so i feel) than to purge. I've tried so many times to kick it on my own before, but i have not been able to. I hope by making MFP a priority, maybe i can finally do it.

It seems like everyone is really nice and supportive here. i am really nervous but was maybe wondering it anyone had anything to say to me, someone struggling with an eating disorder. A kick in the pants is definitely okay by the way, and probably much needed. I will take anything i can get from you guys :smile: thanks everyone.

Replies

• cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    So i am new. I just joined this month. But i have been on this site literally every day since, reading through old blogs and posts and recipes and motivational discussions and everything. I am a bit nervous about this, but wanted to get it out there.. and think i need to to get on my way to recovery

I am 18 years old, a freshman in college. I am fairly active. I am 5"8 and about 150 pounds and I am also bulimic. I hate the word, but thats what it is so i will say it. I don't know how correct or okay it is to talk about that here...so hope this is okay with everyone haha

I am really nervous but also pretty hopeful. I hope i can lose a few pounds-the healthy way this time! And not just lose the weight, but learn what foods and portions to put into my body that won't make me feel so guilty that I have no choice (or so i feel) than to purge. I've tried so many times to kick it on my own before, but i have not been able to. I hope by making MFP a priority, maybe i can finally do it.

It seems like everyone is really nice and supportive here. i am really nervous but was maybe wondering it anyone had anything to say to me, someone struggling with an eating disorder. A kick in the pants is definitely okay by the way, and probably much needed. I will take anything i can get from you guys :smile: thanks everyone.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Welcome.
    :flowerforyou:

Eating disorders usually have a root cause somewhere totally unrealted to food. Trust me, I know. Make sure on this journey you keep that in mind and you find what your root stems from.

Make sure you listen to the advice of others, but remember it's just advice...none of us, that I know of, is a professional (yet) in this field. Of course, there will be conflicting advice at times....find what works best for you and stick with it.

Remember, your weight is not too high already....so it may be more of a challenge to lose weight. Keep it up though... and keep it healthy and realistic.

Good luck.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Welcome cjm:flowerforyou:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    First of all, I don't think you need a kick in the pants. As anyone who has suffered from an eating disorder knows, you probably do that to yourself enough. So first thing, STOP. You are worth a healthy, happy you. Even without extreme eating disorders, pretty much everyone on this site is here because food has at some point in our lives become a comfort or a rationale for reward in what may otherwise seem like a thankless, un-appreciative life. Some of us might even have gotten too comfortable in our worlds or too busy taking care of other people and their needs that we forget about ourselves.

Second thing, YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Eating disorders are like a cancer. It's a disease that sits inside you, sometimes in remission, sometimes raging it's ugly head, but it is beatable. If you had cancer, to what lengths would you go to not only live, but live a productive life? Same is true with eating. You don't just want to be able to fit into those size whatever jeans. You want to be able to run and jump and play in them. Ever see the girls in the mall who look like they're walking on stilts and you realize that you didn't even know jeans came in a size zero for an almost 6 foot tall woman? And one good wind would just blow them over? Not who you want to be!

By the way, I'm talking from experience. My incentive? My beautiful eight year old daughter who I want to never feel about herself the way I grew up feeling. What is your incentive? Is it your future?

Suggestion: Look at yourself every morning in the mirror and find one thing you find attractive about yourself. Doesn't have to be big. Your hair? The color of your eyes? The way your ears are symmetrical? Doesn't matter. When you feel like overindulging, concentrate on that one part of your body that you like. Look in a mirror or just picture it. As you start changing your eating habits, your exercise habits, please don't forget getting PLENTY OF SLEEP, you'll start seeing more parts on your body that you find attractive. One day, you'll walk out the door realizing you are just that dang hot. The feeling may go away the next day, but hopefully you'll have more days than not.

So my small words of wisdom: YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! You already are. Making the decision to change is a HUGE step. Keep it up. Post here often and don't be afraid. We all have our days, weeks, months, years, problems, ups, downs, successes, and failures. Help us to keep plugging away too.

And WELCOME!!!
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Welcome. :bigsmile: Don't worry, we don't judge people here. My sister had an ED, and hers was totally unrelated to food.

If you have any questions or just want support, just ask. :wink: All the members here are great.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Hi,
    No need to be nervous. Everyone is here because they need support and motivation. I wish I had better advice to give, but all I can do is wish you the best of luck and offer an ear if you ever need it.:flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    First of all, I don't think you need a kick in the pants. As anyone who has suffered from an eating disorder knows, you probably do that to yourself enough. So first thing, STOP. You are worth a healthy, happy you. Even without extreme eating disorders, pretty much everyone on this site is here because food has at some point in our lives become a comfort or a rationale for reward in what may otherwise seem like a thankless, un-appreciative life. Some of us might even have gotten too comfortable in our worlds or too busy taking care of other people and their needs that we forget about ourselves.

Second thing, YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Eating disorders are like a cancer. It's a disease that sits inside you, sometimes in remission, sometimes raging it's ugly head, but it is beatable. If you had cancer, to what lengths would you go to not only live, but live a productive life? Same is true with eating. You don't just want to be able to fit into those size whatever jeans. You want to be able to run and jump and play in them. Ever see the girls in the mall who look like they're walking on stilts and you realize that you didn't even know jeans came in a size zero for an almost 6 foot tall woman? And one good wind would just blow them over? Not who you want to be!

By the way, I'm talking from experience. My incentive? My beautiful eight year old daughter who I want to never feel about herself the way I grew up feeling. What is your incentive? Is it your future?

Suggestion: Look at yourself every morning in the mirror and find one thing you find attractive about yourself. Doesn't have to be big. Your hair? The color of your eyes? The way your ears are symmetrical? Doesn't matter. When you feel like overindulging, concentrate on that one part of your body that you like. Look in a mirror or just picture it. As you start changing your eating habits, your exercise habits, please don't forget getting PLENTY OF SLEEP, you'll start seeing more parts on your body that you find attractive. One day, you'll walk out the door realizing you are just that dang hot. The feeling may go away the next day, but hopefully you'll have more days than not.

So my small words of wisdom: YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! You already are. Making the decision to change is a HUGE step. Keep it up. Post here often and don't be afraid. We all have our days, weeks, months, years, problems, ups, downs, successes, and failures. Help us to keep plugging away too.

And WELCOME!!!

Well said! :drinker:

And welcome to you....this is a very supportive site and I think you will find it helpful :flowerforyou: Remember......this is about a healthy lifestyle and changing your habits. You will have good days and bad days......learn from the bad days and move on. Don't let them get you down. Just recognize your mistake and move on from there :flowerforyou:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    welcome to the site, we are all here to get healthy and help each other :flowerforyou:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Welcome to the site. You have made the most important step in the right direction - you are here!! :happy: :happy:

I can't say it better than any of the others that have posted. Just take it one day at a time and keep in touch with the posts. There are many fantastic, supportive folks on this site.

Good luck. jb
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    Thanks. Those responses were better than i had hoped for :smile:
    You guys are great.