Tips for waking up early to exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30. I already have my gym bag and work clothes in the car from the night before. All I have to do is get up, brush my teeth, slip on my workout shorts and T-shirt, grab my lunch (made the night before) from the fridge, and drive to the gym. Not much thought involved. It's a 45 minute drive, and I listen to an audio book. by the time I'm there, I'm wide awake and ready to rock.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It also helps that my 15# cat jumps on my chest as soon as the first alarm goes off. He's an attention hog. If he knows that I'm awake, he's ALL about getting petted, and he's very insistent about it lol

"alarm kitteh" :laugh: I used to have one of those, except he was broken...he would come in at 2:00am. :sick:
  • kikican82
    Options
    I have added two weekly early AM workouts (doing a boot camp at my gym at the wretched hour of 5:30 AM). It's hard getting out of bed, yes, but its weird....once I get to work and move on with my day, I forget I even tortured myself for an hour. Today I logged in my lunch and didn't remember I had all of those extra exercise calories already to start the day. Maybe I'm still half asleep during my workouts :)

As the others already advised, being prepped the night before (have your bag packed etc) so it's as mindless as possible early AM.

Good luck!!!!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    At this time of year you're going to need that extra dose of motivation / will power just to get out of bed. When I changed my routine to early morning workouts I found it easier to do it in the spring when the sun is already up. By fall when it's dark at 5:30 I was so used to getting up it wasn't a problem.
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a NIGHT person, so I put an alarm of some kind - usually my phone - in another room so I have to get up to shut it off. That way, you can't just hit snooze without thinking about it.

I also lay out my workout clothes the night before, including socks and shoes, fill my water bottle, and am basically ready to go.

I'm probably out the door before I'm even properly awake!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just doing it. I wake up at 4AM daily now, and I used to have trouble getting up for my 1PM class in college. The more you do it, the easier it gets.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Great thread I actually missed a workout this morning : (

The preparing workout clothes the night before and the distancing alarm clock are great suggestions!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Dont think about it, just do it.

That is the best advice ever.
    We can make excuses all day long, but excuses never produce results.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I just recently got an iphone and it has an alarm feature, which is good because I've always used my phone for an alarm. You can name each alarm you set and, just for labeling purposes, I named one "Get up and go running". When I got up, I had to look at my phone to slide the little switch thingy to turn it off and I saw the words, "Get up and go running." It was as if the phone was telling me, "Get up and go running." So I added a couple !!!! to it and then set one for 1 minute later and labeled it, "Don't be lazy. GET UP!!!" Not only did it work, it made me laugh and more energized for my workout. I'm sure it'll lose it's novelty, but I like the idea of someone or something - even if it's my phone - giving me that little extra push I need to not hit the snooze button. I'm thinking of changing it up every once in a while to keep things interesting. Maybe "Is the extra 45 minutes really worth the blubber?" or "Don't disappoint yourself - you'll be sorry!"

It only works if you have that type of phone or one with that option, but if you can name your alarms I highly recommend sending yourself some messages :)

Love that! such a great idea, might have to do that with mine now :p