Green Monster!

Options
Recently it has caught my attention that 100% of my support group of friends/family losing weight with me is doing so with the help of prescription drugs (and not the kind the Dr prescribes). I have no morals against this, although I think it is a poor way of acheiving weight loss. My issue is that I'm so bummed out that they are losing LBS faster and getting noticed for it. Just knowing this has killed my competitive streak thus my motivation just hit rock bottom. Everytime my friend gets a compliment on how much weight she's lost, my blood pressure rises (which also makes me feel horrible for feeling jealous and angry at her success because shouldn't I be supporting her as well?) I hate sitting around feeling sorry for myself, but I'm at the gym working hard and trying to choose the right foods and sometimes eating (alot!) less than I really want to and completely struggling getting nowhere fast-and they are sitting around losing weight as fast as strippers lose their clothes as work. I am completely jealous and just need to vent.

Replies

• MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    They may lose weight faster (muscle, water, bone) but your progress will be sustainable. In three years, you will still be where you want to be and it will be as if they had never tried.
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard not to compare ourselves to everyone else, but you just can't. You have to do this for YOU and do it the right way. Don't let the others influence how you treat your own body. Find some new friends who are doing it all natural like you and then start a competition!
  • Maid4richie
    Maid4richie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you are coming from i have 3 friends who have lost 50+ pounds on meds and didnt change anything it it pisses me off knowing how much they lost without doing anything and how little i have lost working my butt off . i am intrested to see the comments you get from this thread . we can do this together all natural :)
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Take pride in that you are treating your body well and doing this the right way! its hard whenever people are losing faster than you but don't give up, your weight loss will be longer lasting and you won't have to use drugs forever!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that it is hard for you right now. I have lost weight before on a fast lose diet.....low calorie and vit. b 6 and 12 shots. It was exciting to lose weight so fast but, I actually didn't feel that great. The diet certainly wasn't something I could do long term and I believe I lost a lot of muscle. I gained my weight back and then it has been even harder now to lose.....with a messed up metabolism and less muscle. So I think the turtle approach is so much more sustainable than the rabbit approach even though it can be discouraging to see others losing more quickly! I am only eating a little bit below my maintenance weight and I am taking months and months to take off my weight. When I have a bad week-end or a few days....I don't see an enormous rebound in my weight. Patience is the key.......
  • drh1111
    drh1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. Several of the people that I know who are losing weight are going to a local doctor. He is providing a hunger suppressor along with some information. They look great. Me, not so much. I almost quit my diet, when I went to the doctor for my yearly physical, and I had lost 14 lbs in about 8 weeks. This is a little slower than I wanted to lose, but I have lost it.

One lady, who goes to the doctor, is heading toward losing forty pounds. She lost 35 lbs in the time that took me to lose 14. She looks great, but she is afraid that once she stops taking the suppressor she will gain all of her weight back. I am not worried about gaining weight back.
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    But. Your weight loss is going to stay gone because you have changed your lifestyle and eating! You have made healthier choices....gotten the exercises down and are on a path! Those other people know nothing, so as soon as they stop taking the meds...guess who's ballooning back up!
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far. I plan on making it to the gym everyday of my week off starting tomorrow. Although I have no desire to see my friends gain any weight back it does feel good to have reassurance that I'm doing this the right way.